Rate my new filter/dewater rig

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Rate my new filter/dewater rig

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:32 pm

I don't think I posted about Mark II a, but it didn't work so well. Basically it was a solar heated/gravity pumped fitler system. The filter bowls caught water well, but the flow rate was nearly unbearable (twelve hours to a gallon, give or take).
So I made improvements.

Mark II b features the same primary settling/draining tank as a, but then has a heated pipe section leading to a pump. The pump pushes through a 50 u mesh filter then 15 u filter, then feeds back to an elevated settling tank. Then I can just open a spigot and have it feed out into my truck by gravity.

Problems I already know about:

I need another filter head and filter to get down to 5 u absolute, minimum. I'm just filling up the filter in my truck with this. Oh well.

When driven with a pump, water passes through the water block filter. The bowls catch some, but after a few hours of settling, I see about 3-5% water at the bottom of my settle tank (I actually fed to a clear plastic 5 gal water bottle so I could see what was going on). I guess this means that dissolved/emulsified water is settling out though.

I get a positive on a hot pan test with the post-settled result, but there's a good chance this is related to the gas and diesel I had mixed to the batch of crap that got in one of my barrels.

Any other comments?

2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
2-tank custom/self-built SVO system
jordanmills

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Pump from the barrels at the top
Feed into the barrels at the bottom
Last edited by John Galt on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Note the drain design. I have a drain at bottom level, I actually draw from a standpipe about six inches up from the bottom of the barrel.

You don't think that it will be effective if I let it drain until no more water comes out, then pull from the standpipe?

I had issues coming up with a design that would pump from the top without needing me to open the barrel and hold a feed stick.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:47 pm

This uses gravity and pressure to draw oil from the top
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2119&stc=1&d=1193006636
John Galt

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Ahhh, looks like you're trying to get rid of the fats. But I want the fats. My two tank system is heated very well, and the truck seems to run fine on them, long as they're clean and dry.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Run it cold to remove fats, run it hot to keep fats. The principle of introducing oil at the bottom and using gravity to force the cleanest oil out the top stays the same in either case.
John Galt

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:05 pm

I see. I'll have to play with this in my next revision. Thanks for the details.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:15 pm

What part of your system does the dewatering?

There have been a lot of comments that 'water block filters' don't remove the moisture in VO. They are specifically designed to block free water in a petro diesel system. The active ingredient is cornstarch which absorbs free water till it expands and blocks the filter.

Have you tested the oil for moisture?
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I separate the fats because that's where most of the water is.
John Galt

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Yes. I thought it was up there. The filter chambers do a little bit of it, but most of the dewatering is through hot (not heated) settling. Eg dump the hot oil in a drum and let it sit till water stops coming out. The fact that water comes out after the water block filter demonstrates two things:
1, the water block filter definitely does not block all water
2, it seems that fully dissolved water will settle out after filtering and leaving it alone for a while.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby canolafunola » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:13 pm

"The fact that water comes out after the water block filter demonstrates two things:
1, the water block filter definitely does not block all water
2, it seems that fully dissolved water will settle out after filtering and leaving it alone for a while."

How about a 3rd thing? After the water block filter is saturated with water and stops flow, the pump blows the water block filter, letting everything through.
93 Gulfstream RV w Cummins 5.9 diesel pusher
canolafunola

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

I don't see a mechanism for that, and the oil looks markedly different when compared with oil run through the same system with the 15 u filter removed.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby canolafunola » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 pm

In your diagram above, there is a pump before the water block.
canolafunola

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:19 pm

okay?
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby canolafunola » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 pm

The pump is before the water block filters, when they saturate and stops flow, the pump keeps pumping. If the pump is strong enough, the filter blows. Do you see that possibility? OK?

You should not be using water block filters for filtering WVO. Not only that they are expensive as hell, they don't work.
canolafunola

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:49 pm

The flow rate has remained constant and the filter appears physically sound. I think it's okay. These are crappy filters, $5 each.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Next

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering