IP gaskets/seals and VO?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

IP gaskets/seals and VO?

Postby ram11 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi,

Has anyone experienced deteriorated gaskets/seals in the Fuel Injection Pump due to VO? I have 1996 Ram 2500 with 200K miles. It has about 6K VO miles on it. Recently it has been sucking air and we have changed pretty much everything (new lift pump, fuel hoses, fuel sending module) and its still getting air from somewhere. I suspect it must be the bad gaskets in the IP. My system is designed so that the fuel gets returned to the supply instead of going back to the tank. This could cause air buildup. Changing the rubber seals with synthetic ones many help?

Please share if you had this issue .

Thanks
ram11

Re: IP gaskets/seals and VO?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have the same engine on VO > 5 years and haven't had trouble with any seals. When VO interacts with nitrile rubber it causes swelling which doesn't usually cause air leaks. I have heard of very few seal troubles in the many thousands of posts I have read. If you had bad seals (or any other place under 30 psi pressure) you would notice it by VO leaking and spotting when its running.

A good way to find where the air is getting in is use a small clear inline filter from most auto parts stores that you can move around. Connections and filter gaskets are the main places to cause leaks.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ