electronic pump

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

electronic pump

Postby Clay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm considering using an electronic pump at the tank to push my Vo instead of using the diaphram pump on my 91 cummins. My question is about fuel pressure and flow. Most of the pumps seem to be realitivly low pressure ~6psi or so. The flow rates are high on the ones I'm looking at but the pressure ratings concern me. Here is a link to one of the pumps I'm looking at. http://www.lightobject.com/10Lmin-158GPH-High-Temperature-80-39C-DC12V-Brushless-Submersible-Water-Oil-Gas-Pump-P511.aspx Is the pressure critical? Would this pump work?

thanks, ch

Found this one also. High temp and high pressure(19psi)
http://www.lightobject.com/High-Pressure-26Lm-420GPH-DC24V-10039C-Brushless-Water-Oil-Gasoline-pump-w-Speed-Control-P572.aspx
Clay

Re: electronic pump

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Probably not good. Most ratings are for water. The output will be < 1/2 on WVO, if it pumps at all. The stock pump is much stronger. The best by far is to put a piston style lift pump from a 94-98 Dodge, search on how people do that.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Clay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:20 pm

So for the sake of argument, lets say I can find an electronic pump that is guaranteed to pump oil at a given rate and pressure. What psi would it need to supply to the IP? or would a high flow rate and low psi do the job? Does the IP need a certain fuel pressure to operate, or just an adequate supply of fuel?
Clay

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 am

It needs a certain pressure and flow. Fuel Pressure at IP: 6-7 psi at idle. This is after the loss in lines, filter, etc. so you need one that can do 12-15 psi @ 7 gph. Reading specs on electric ones isn't good unless they have a pressure versus flow chart, and tested with extra thick fluid like WVO. Most of them list a flow @ 0 psi (fakes you that its high flow), and psi at 0 flow. You need flow at a given pressure. Not good to go too high >15 or too low < 3 on pressure across the range of flows from 0 to 30 gph.

Even the decent $500 electric pumps don't last very long, there are hundreds of threads about pump failures on the forums. Here is the best pump by far as I mentioned above (you can find them for better prices):
http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-rotary-bombs-aftermarket/34084-low-pressure-piston-lift-pump.html
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion