WVO through both Vegamax and stock filter in 12v cummins

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO through both Vegamax and stock filter in 12v cummins

Postby greenghost45 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello All;
I apologize in advance if this subject has already been addressed. I did a search and did not turn up any answers. I am in the midst of converting my 1997 Dodge 3500 with Cummins 12v to run on WVO using a Plantdrive system with a 6 way port valve, VegmaxII filter/heater, Vegtherm inline fuel heater, and hotfox tank heater. I did some of the work including installing the hotfox in my 200 litre aluminum tank and wiring the switches. Most of the work is being done by a Plantdrive official dealer/installer, on Vancouver Island. My installer has informed me that he is plumbing the system such that the WVO will be filtered by the VegmaxII , but then go to the stock engine fuel filter, rather then directly to the injector pump. He also felt that a FPHE was not necessary. He felt the only real disadvantage will be longer purge times and more WVO being sent to the diesel tank, during purge. If that is an issue, a separate switch for the return line valves can be added. I usually make longer drives and don't make many short trips.

My questions are
1) Will the filtered WVO cause problems with the stock filter? I previously owned a 1998.5 Dodge Cummins 24v on which I religiously changed the fuel filters every 15,000 miles. I am concerned that if I have a bad batch of WVO that plugs the Vegmax filter, the stock filter may also be plugged and I won't be able to just switch to diesel and keep trucking! I am also concerned that the WVO may cool off in the stock filter. Also, there will be the added disadvantage that I will have the change the stock filter more often than if it were bypassed by the WVO.
2) Is the omission of the FPHE going to cause problems? I live on Vancouver Island which has mild winters like coastal Washington. But I will be traveling cross-country as well, but usually not in winter months. The Plantdrive website seems to suggest that the FPHE is a good idea for the Cummins.

Insight, opinions or experience are welcomed! Thanks!
1997 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 litre Cummins 12v with 5 speed manual
Plantdrive 2 tank WVO system with hotfox pickup, vegmax filter and vegtherm mega heater.
Based on Quadra Island, BC (near Vancouver Island)
greenghost45

Re: WVO through both Vegamax and stock filter in 12v cummins

Postby SunWizard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:33 am

Sharing the filter is a bad idea, and you gave a good list of the reasons. You would have far longer purge times.
Yes its a very good idea to have a FPHE in any climate so you get perfectly regulated temps between 160-180F.

See the thread about my Dodge in the converted vehicles section, it shows what I think is best and describes why. Many people are now using the same plumbing as mine with good success.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: WVO through both Vegamax and stock filter in 12v cummins

Postby greenghost45 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks for the reply. I did previously look at your setup; nice!
I picked up my truck yesterday from the installer and immediately had a problem. I noted that the diesel tank gauge was RISING as I was driving on veg! Would be nice if the diesel tank magically refilled itself but obviously, there was a problem with the veg return. My installer located the problem in short order; loose wire on the return valve solenoid. With that solved, I headed down the highway. All went fine for about 125 km. Then, she began to run rough intermittently and finally stalled out after about 10 more kms. It re-started OK on diesel and has been running fine since on diesel, for about 50kms. I will start to trouble shoot her on Sunday but I'm thinking that the fuel temperature was inadequate. We shall see.....
1997 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 litre Cummins 12v with 5 speed manual
Plantdrive 2 tank WVO system with hotfox pickup, vegmax filter and vegtherm mega heater.
Based on Quadra Island, BC (near Vancouver Island)
greenghost45

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion