Slow idle on wvo 12v Cummins

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Slow idle on wvo 12v Cummins

Postby greenghost45 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 pm

I recently had my 97 12v Cummins converted to svo (see my previous post in Dec 2011; WVO through both Vegamax and stock filter in 12v Cummins). I have a hotfox tank heater, and vegtherm mega heater and Vegamax II filter. I don't have a fphe (yet!). The unit seems to run ok on wvo, except I have noted that the idle is slower by about 100 to 150 rpms, versus diesel. I am wondering if I need a FPHE to get the veg oil hotter? Or could this be related to the unconventional route that the installer took; the wvo is sent to the stock fuel filter (after the vegmax and vegtherm) instead of bypassing the stock filter and going straight to the IP. I may yet redo that part of the job. It was his idea and I'm not too crazy about that. Anybody have some thoughts to share? Thanks!
1997 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 litre Cummins 12v with 5 speed manual
Plantdrive 2 tank WVO system with hotfox pickup, vegmax filter and vegtherm mega heater.
Based on Quadra Island, BC (near Vancouver Island)
greenghost45

Re: Slow idle on wvo 12v Cummins

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

greenghost45 wrote: I am wondering if I need a FPHE to get the veg oil hotter?

Yes probably but you don't say what your temps are. Best to always be >160F.
Or could this be related to the unconventional route that the installer took; the wvo is sent to the stock fuel filter (after the vegmax and vegtherm) instead of bypassing the stock filter and going straight to the IP. I may yet redo that part of the job. It was his idea and I'm not too crazy about that. Anybody have some thoughts to share? Thanks!

Sharing the stock filter is a bad idea for many reasons, which I think I gave when you asked about this before. A pressure gauge is a good idea and would help troubleshoot this. My truck has the exact same idle on WVO or diesel.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby greenghost45 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm

SunWizard wrote:
greenghost45 wrote: I am wondering if I need a FPHE to get the veg oil hotter?

Yes probably but you don't say what your temps are. Best to always be >160F.
Or could this be related to the unconventional route that the installer took; the wvo is sent to the stock fuel filter (after the vegmax and vegtherm) instead of bypassing the stock filter and going straight to the IP. I may yet redo that part of the job. It was his idea and I'm not too crazy about that. Anybody have some thoughts to share? Thanks!

Sharing the stock filter is a bad idea for many reasons, which I think I gave when you asked about this before. A pressure gauge is a good idea and would help troubleshoot this. My truck has the exact same idle on WVO or diesel.

I am going to add the FPHE (see my new post ). For now, I will stay with the dual filter system given that I want to make changes one at a time so I will know what is working and what is not. Given that the veg oil goes from the vegmax to the vegtherm and then to the stock filter, where should the fphe be plumbed in? I'm thinking after the vegtherm? Also, I have pressure/vacuum gauge that I was planning to add to the system. There is a vacuum port on the vegmax so I'm guessing that is the logical place to tap the gauge into? Or is there another spot that you would recommend?
Thanks!
1997 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 litre Cummins 12v with 5 speed manual
Plantdrive 2 tank WVO system with hotfox pickup, vegmax filter and vegtherm mega heater.
Based on Quadra Island, BC (near Vancouver Island)
greenghost45

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 pm

greenghost45 wrote:Given that the veg oil goes from the vegmax to the vegtherm and then to the stock filter, where should the fphe be plumbed in? I'm thinking after the vegtherm?

On mine I put it just before the IP so nothing else lowers the temps.
Also, I have pressure/vacuum gauge that I was planning to add to the system. There is a vacuum port on the vegmax so I'm guessing that is the logical place to tap the gauge into? Or is there another spot that you would recommend?

Like mine: After your last filter, just before the IP, so it shows if a filter is plugging.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion