Need SVO know-how for non-SVO project

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Need SVO know-how for non-SVO project

Postby wildheavenfarm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi all,

My question is about applying the equipment of an SVO/WVO conversion to another project. I'm a soapmaker by trade and, in an effort to increase my production capacity, want to build a large oil melter so I have to stop less often to measure and melt my oils. The body of the melter will be a standard beer keg with a metal spigot at the bottom. What I'm lacking is a way to heat the oils. The oils in question are olive, palm and coconut, the latter two being solid at room temperature. The soap-making takes place inside, which rules out things like propane burners. I've tried livestock water tank defrosters and even a device designed to melt buckets of oil for popcorn popping (which may not have been functioning to spec). Nothing had the oomph to melt more than a small amount of oil, far less than the 15 gallons I'm hoping for.

What would you recommend I try?

Thanks in advance,
Mary
the goat lady
wildheavenfarm.com
wildheavenfarm

Re: Need SVO know-how for non-SVO project

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. A stock tank de-icer isn't good since it has a thermostat that shuts if off after it hits about 40F. A good drop in type of heater is a bucket heater like this: http://www.petvetsupply.com/equmali001.html

There are band heaters which clamp to the outside of a barrel, but those are much more expensive and slower to heat. They are designed for standard 55 gallon barrels, but you might be able to adapt one to your beer keg.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ