Electric filter/dewater system...... or not

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Electric filter/dewater system...... or not

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

ok... so here is the debate now that I actually have a regular supply of oil.

My generator is a good 100 yards from my shop at my home. Genset not huge and it is on wheels butttt. the terrain between home and shop is very rugged with several steep knoles to go over between. I have tons of extension cord, Have a motor (may not be big enough) and have a D.craft. Need more barrels. I have an electric hotwater heater that wont be used in my home for years to come sooo??

Sooooo... stick with building a diesel craft system orrrrrrr.

Non electic system. Got to build stuff anway so could just as easy be building an upflow system and a final filter then boil off water. I have a few military tent heater burners that I could use to boil. Also have an LP chicken fryer that could be used as well to boil off of a smaller container full (chicken frier pot).

One major conflict is: What I do not have is money. I was basically bankrupted in the economy and lost everything but my little cabin and wvo pieces and parts I had collected over the years. At 50yrs old I'm back in college now retraining in the medical field on student loans. life will get little better when student loans pay out the living expense portion but it will barely cover driving fuel and food it looks like. That and I still owe nearly 20 grand on expenses from my failed business.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Re: Electric filter/dewater system...... or not

Postby John Galt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:38 pm

If you have lots of money and a need for lots of fuel then a centrifuge makes good sense. With a correctly designed upflow settling system "boiling off water" is generally unnecessary. Learn how to build an inexpensive carbide manometer http://make-biodiesel.org/Quality-Testing/testing-for-water-using-calcium-carbide.html to test your fuel for water content. Run all fuel through a 5µ final filter before using it in a diesel engine.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:19 pm

It depends on the quality and type of WVO you get. An upflow setup can work with good oil and low usage. Even cheaper, settle it in 55 gallon barrels for a month or 2, then suck from the top down through a filter. Always test from the lowest point in a barrel you plan on using.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

John Galt wrote:If you have lots of money and a need for lots of fuel then a centrifuge makes good sense. With a correctly designed upflow settling system "boiling off water" is generally unnecessary. Learn how to build an inexpensive carbide manometer ... to test your fuel for water content. Run all fuel through a 5µ final filter before using it in a diesel engine.

Course in this case the debate is little more complex cause DO HAVE the centrifuge already, just a complication on getting power to it.

Sun..- I have a 5k (6ksurge) genset. With 220v or 110v output. I do have good quality heavy duty extension cords. (Most 110v. One 220v but only 10ft) So for part of this debate need to know..... would a string of cords at 100yds in length creat to much resistance to opperate a hot water heater element and pump to run D.craft. If too much at 100yds.... what about 50 yds?

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Extension cords are rated on wire gauge and the amperage they can carry NOT on voltage.

You're going to need at least 1000 watts and that will require some big, thick, expensive extension cords.

You will have to move your proposed processing next to the genset.

You might want to try simple easy and cost effective solutions instead. The cold upflow set-up I've been using for the past 5 years while you've been talking about different possibilities uses electricity only for a small fractional HP transfer pump. It's processed hundreds of gallons without problem in a climate that's below freezing for half the year. about9.html

Yes, I settle the VO in cubies for months before it's processed and only use the clear oil off the top for motor fuel. Everything else is burned as heating fuel in the stove.
Last edited by John Galt on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 pm

thanx for the chart; aware its amperage not voltage. Do not know yet Amp draw of either element or motor. will update folk on my progress

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:19 pm

You can't run ANY water heater element or ANY centrifuge motor on a 100 yard extension cord.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm

John Galt wrote:You can't run ANY water heater element or ANY centrifuge motor on a 100 yard extension cord.

You can if the cord is the right size. The chart you gave is for 12 volts, and doesn't apply at 120 or 240. On my CF I have a 1125 watt heater, and the pump adds about 400 watts, for a total of 1500 watts and I run at 120v. You could run it on #8 gauge wire 300' for a max. voltage drop of 6%. But 8 ga. is bigger than most extension cords. I have run mine on 10 ga. wire for that distance, but that is marginal. Generators are often below 110v on output voltage, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you got 240v for both heater and motor, you can use smaller wire, even a common 12 ga. wire would work great for 300' at 3% loss. Online calculator here:
http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/wire_siz ... lator.html
To use the 120v cords you have at 240v you would need to put different plugs on them. Or hook it up direct with other wire you may be able to find as scrap, like the wire used in water wells, which I have been given thousands of feet by neighbors, since they replace it most times they repair or replace a water well pump.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for noting that. The chart is now for AC volts. The point is that 'extension cords' are generally too thin gauge for that distance with a heater and a motor. As noted, appropriately sized cable will do it.
John Galt

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering