Coolant isn't getting to cleaning system! I need a wizard!

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Coolant isn't getting to cleaning system! I need a wizard!

Postby DirtyBarrel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 am

On my GMC 6.5l 3500 savanah thomas buuilt short bus we tapped into the 1.5 inch hose coming from the top of the radiator on the drivers side and to the 1.5 inch hose coming out the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. We tapped into it with two T's to create a separate coolant loop to heat all our parts. We used reducers from the T to reduce our new line down to 1/2inch coolant line with ball valves to be able to bypass our new loop if im taking long trips on diesel and dont want to to get heated. The coolant is then routed to the pre injector FPHE > Booster Pump > heated veg filter > Hot Fox on clean tank > clean system FPHE > cleaning davco heated filter > back to 1.5" coolant hose on bottom passenger side of the radiator.

- our cleaning system is mounted on top of the dirty tank(back of the bus) and is thus raised about 3 ft from the coolant lines under the bus and the booster pump. Also, we have probably gone through more than 50 ft of hosing so this is a pretty large coolant loop. We werent too concerned with this since we bought a nice booster pump that we wired to the raptor 100 wire so they would turn on together. Could that result in a loss of power?

- we removed some coolant lines in the cleaning area(before FPHE incase it is directional) and it was bone dry. so we siphoned some up (!@#$!#$#) and filled the remainder of the lines in case priming them would help. i was wrong. and siphoning up the coolant proved to be quite difficult but coolant eventually came.

- during trouble shooting we started to take lines off and check the flow. We found when we disconnected after the booster pump coolant was flowing. we turned on the pump and made sure we had our direction correct. when we did this we noticed our FPHE and coolant lines before the pump became hot. so something is blocking the flow to the rest of cleaning system or the vehicles original water pump is fighting against our booster pump sooo.....

- We switched our input and out put on the T's coming from the 1.5" radiator lines. much to our surprise this didnt change a thing.

Now what... we are going to drop the cleaning tank and check the Hot Fox lines, then if that doesnt help we are going to reduce to 1" instead of 1/2" to get more coolant to our booster pump from the 1.5" source. That is our plan at least as of now.

Cant wait to hit the road! any advice is welcomed! im sick of being frustrated with coolant all up on my face!

Thanks all,

DirtyBarrel
DirtyBarrel

Re: Coolant isn't getting to cleaning system! I need a wizar

Postby SunWizard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 am

DirtyBarrel wrote:We used reducers from the T to reduce our new line down to 1/2inch coolant line with ball valves to be able to bypass our new loop if im taking long trips on diesel and dont want to to get heated. The coolant is then routed to the pre injector FPHE > Booster Pump > heated veg filter > Hot Fox on clean tank > clean system FPHE > cleaning davco heated filter > back to 1.5" coolant hose on bottom passenger side of the radiator.

That is the wrong place to tap into. The themostat is blocking your flow. Tap in where the cabin heater is connected to the top of the block. This is before the thermostat, it will be hotter, more flow, and the engines water pump provides flow. 1/2" is too small of line, use at least 3/4.

we wired to the raptor 100 wire so they would turn on together. Could that result in a loss of power?

Yes. Each device should have an amp rating, add them together and you will probably need a bigger wire to power both.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Coolant isn't getting to cleaning system! I need a wizar

Postby DirtyBarrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you mr. sun wizard for responding in 10 minutes! We fixed this problem after reading your post and finding an auxiliary in and out near the wheel well that would of been soooo much easier to use from the beginning. sigh... now we are getting great flow and perfect temps.
DirtyBarrel

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion