Oberdorfer pumping air : (

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Oberdorfer pumping air : (

Postby DirtyBarrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 am

Ive been trouble shooting the last few kinks with my system. i finally got my coolant flowing well enough to start cleaning some wvo but i cant get the psi going into my centrifuge higher than 20. The oberdorfer pump is really loud as if im pumping air so i switched it over to transfer through my davco and into the clean tank. The veg flowing through the davco immediately started bubbling up with air.

a few ideas/comments:

-air is coming up from my pick up?

-air is coming in through a poor connection?

-air is coming in through my mechanical marine switches? Ive seen these switches used for switching between diesel and veg tank, filters, and the return so i bought 3 extra to use on my cleaning system. Perhaps they dont work at high psi?

-my tank's vent is venting really slowly so after i collect air pushes back out of my collection tube. maybe the pressure from the tank is forcing air into my pickup line. Im pretty sure this isnt the case because i tried to operate it after adequate time was given for it to vent.

any thoughts before i start to tare it apart one piece at a time?

Thanks

dirtybarrel
DirtyBarrel

Re: Oberdorfer pumping air : (

Postby DirtyBarrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 am

Just a quick update:

We collected some more veg and when we transferred some to the clean tank there weren't as many bubbles. But... they are still present towards the back of the filter. And.... we still cant get our psi above 20. We will continue to check all connections and the pick up.

DB
DirtyBarrel

Postby DirtyBarrel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:46 pm

We switched our 24 volt pump with the same one but in 12volt and removed our rigged 24v system. This didn't change our psi at all.

We pulled our pickup out and it was made of a soft vinyl tube. Has any one ever had a problem with a oberdorfer 1/3hp pump sucking so hard that the pickup squeezed together allowing less oil through?

So now i am going to test the gpm of the pump to make sure we are getting the right flow.

-DB
DirtyBarrel

Postby SunWizard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 pm

What model# of pump are you using?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby DirtyBarrel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 am

it is the N991. so we switched it with my buddies pump and did some tests. We ran it off its own battery and on the car but that wasn't it. We then bi-passed our switches that allow us to vacuum though the filter instead of push and we got 20 more psi. Next we pulled off the pick up and tried to pull veg from a bucket without the pick up attached and the pressure went right up to our desired 85 psi. We played with it for a bit and after pulling out the spring from inside the pickup tube, it worked fine with the pickup in use.

so....
My line is too small and/or there is too much length for the pump to pull through. Wish i had just done the math to figure this out before making cuts : /
DirtyBarrel

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion