Single Barrel Filtration/Dewatering Rig - design details

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

single barrel filtration

Postby towtruck64 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm

ecojetta, what type of pump are you useing[/b]
towtruck64

Postby John Galt » Fri May 02, 2008 7:17 pm

It will work a lot better if the prefilter has an extension that puts the prefiltered oil into the bottom ¼ of the barrel, then pump from the top ¼ of the barrel.
John Galt

pump

Postby ecojetta » Sat May 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Towtruck-

I happened to find this pump from a buddy who did not need it for a while.
It is on loan to me right now, since I could never afford such a nice pump.
It is probably overkill for the job...

Burks Pumps 7CT6M

http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/BurksPumps/7CT6M.pdf
04 Jetta TDI with Greasecar 2 tank kit
ecojetta

cold flow up-settling

Postby ecojetta » Sat May 03, 2008 9:37 pm

John-

Yes I agree, and I am planning on adding this modification. You have a good thread on the subject.
ecojetta

pumps for filtering wvo

Postby towtruck64 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:47 pm

i am having a problem finding a pump that can filter wvo through more than one filter at a time. i would appreciate a suggestion ,that won't break the bank. thank you.
towtruck64

pump

Postby ecojetta » Sat May 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Towtruck-

Even with this nice pump, I have to heat the oil before attempting to
pump it through multiple filters. Did you check out Sunwizards setup
using the power steering pump from a junk yard and a motor/pulley?

hope that helps. I will keep an eye out. I remember seeing a few deals
on Ebay.
ecojetta

pump

Postby ecojetta » Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 am

Towtruck-

Here is a $30 pump that appears to work with hot oil.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=1479
ecojetta

Shurflo pump

Postby wvoalaska » Mon May 05, 2008 4:37 pm

I have been using a shurflo rv water pump to move my oil through a series of filters: a tp filter, then a 5 micron water filter, then a 2 micron cat filter. I haven't figured out how fast it goes. The pump I am using now (I have more than one of these) turns on at 30 and off at 40 psi, but I have another I have adjusted (by accidentally dropping it and messing up the pressure switch) goes up to about 90 PSI, making for a faster flow. I think Tim Cook has cranked his up to over 100 psi and has run one at that pressure for loooooong periods of time.

They sell 12V DC and 120V AC ones, and varying output ranges, though none is super fast and the output is less with oil than what it's rated for with water. I got one on ebay and then found some really old ones for next to nothing that I picked up locally.

I have read that they don't stand up to gasoline, but do stand up to diesel, motor oil, and veg. oil just fine.
wvoalaska

pipe heating cable question

Postby david p » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:12 am

How do you get the pipe heating cable to work? The USA Hardware website says it has "Built-in thermostat and pilot light, which automatically activates at 38 F". From that I'm assuming it turns on only at 38 degrees. Is the thermostat adjustable? Or can you override it?

Thanks.
'02 VW Jetta with Elsbett 1 tank system (plan to run on WVO)
david p

heater cable

Postby ecojetta » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:12 am

There are these nice tarp clips that are basically a plastic alligator clip about 4" long with a strong spring. If you clip this onto the self test button, it runs just fine.
ecojetta

water heating element

Postby elliot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:17 am

Dear Canolafunola,

I've been getting so much good info from this site- I'm almost
ready to set up my system, but I'm stuck on the hot water heating element.
I want to suspend it in my 55 gal drum, I don't know what fittings to use.
I know that the element goes through a 2" T (?), and the wire goes up through a length of pvc pipe - but exactly what fittings are used to connect the element to the T? Also, if the element is partially inside the T, doesn't that reduce the heat that gets out into the barrel?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Elliot
elliot

Postby canolafunola » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:35 am

Elliot, what ever you do, do not use PVC or any plastic for any parts of your filtration system that uses a heater element. That includes the drum, valves, fittings etc. You must have a thermostat to control the temp. Best to use 2 thermostats in series in case one fails. Add a timer to shut the system off after a set duration for extra safety. I do not recommend immersing a (single) hot water heater thermostat in the oil anymore. I had one that failed in the closed position after 3 years of use. If you have a second Tstat on the outside of the drum, in series with immersed T-stat, then it's ok.

Is yours an open or close top drum? Use aluminum U channels (scrap commercial window frames work well and easily scrounged) and bolt the heater element to it then hang it.
93 Gulfstream RV w Cummins 5.9 diesel pusher
canolafunola

heating wvo

Postby elliot » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Dear Canolafunola,

Thanks for the heads-up about using PVC- I'll get rid of it all. I'll swap
my plastic 55 gal drum for a metal one- a closed one with 2 bung holes.
As for heating- I plan on getting an 80ft long pipe heating cable, as well as a water heating element. --Question- I can bolt the heating element to the aluminum U channel but what insulates the contacts and the wire from the WVO- or should I not worry about that-I've been told WVO doesn't conduct electricity.
I plan on putting thermostats on both heaters- heat the WVO to 100-120 degrees, keep it there for a couple of hours and then let it cool overnight. Then I'll heat it up again so it will flow through through my 20 micron and 5 micron filters - . How does that sound?
Thanks again
Elliot
elliot

Postby canolafunola » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 pm

"Question- I can bolt the heating element to the aluminum U channel but what insulates the contacts and the wire from the WVO- or should I not worry about that-I've been told WVO doesn't conduct electricity. "

Sorry for the late reply.

WVO is mostly non conductive. If you are worried about shocks and shorts, coat the terminals with epoxy.

"I plan on putting thermostats on both heaters- heat the WVO to 100-120 degrees, keep it there for a couple of hours and then let it cool overnight. Then I'll heat it up again so it will flow through through my 20 micron and 5 micron filters - . How does that sound? "

What are you using for a filter? Do lot's of hot pan tests at different stages to get a feel for how your system is working.

For hot pan tests, I've been using a small syringe, a table spoon and a propane torch. Very little oil is used, clean up is easy. I dump the oil onto newspaper, rol it up, wipe off the spoon and that's it.
93 Gulfstream RV w Cummins 5.9 diesel pusher
canolafunola

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering