Newbie on this site

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Newbie on this site

Postby curbill4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 am

After burning wvo for 8 years now I had the occasion to need a ? answered. Went on a site that I( learned alot on and posted. After 4 days and no reads on my ? I gathered that the interest on the process has died. Found this site and joined yesterday. This site seems to be what the other site used to be. After spending some time I started to recognize the old names. Glad to have found the site and thank you for carrying on.
curbill4

Re: Newbie on this site

Postby SunWizard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Posting here has slowed down also, probably showing a decline in WVO interest everywhere. Which is a surprise with fuel prices still near their all time highs!
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm

IMHO the slow down is alot because there is now enough upfront info that says.... nothings for free.. thus while WVO fuel can turn out less expensive... it takes work, dedication, planing and good ol' timely effort to use WVO. Folk simply between family and mulitple jobs these days just can't forsee finding the time and effort to put into it.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Increased demand for a limited resource.
More people making biodiesel.
Fewer new vehicles are SVO compatible.
People with working systems have less interest in talking about it.
John Galt

Postby zoochy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

I concur with all of the above points.
I frequented this and another forum daily as I was developing my process, I contributed a fair bit once I got a system running, and now only check back occasionally to see if there is anything new or to contribute meaningfully if I can. I've got friends interested but once they realize how much effort it takes to collect and make your own fuel, most can’t be bothered.
For me burning veg allows me to drive long distances for recreation without the forethought of having to pay for fuel. My motives are purely selfish, which I suspect makes me the odd person out here. The only green motive for me to burn veg is the green that stays inside my wallet.
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Return to Beginners section and FAQ