Help me diagnose my misbehaving SVO system?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

It seems to work for plantdrive. When I can afford a good SVO pump, I'll tap into the test ports on the heads.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
2-tank custom/self-built SVO system
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:58 pm

jordanmills wrote:It seems to work for plantdrive. When I can afford a good SVO pump, I'll tap into the test ports on the heads.

"It seems to be selling kits for Plantdrive" may be more accurate. I'm not picking on anyone (especially Craig :wink: ) - unless they claim to be a VO expert. I don't think there are any of these, yet.

Statistically, the CHEAPEST vo 'conversion kits' (using that term quite loosely) are the biggest sellers. Unfortunately, they are also the biggest promoters of mis-information. They do this to sell 'kits'.

Choose what you believe wisely. 8)
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:01 pm

SkySkiJason wrote:Choose what you believe wisely. 8)

I fully agree and its why we need independent (not vendor run) forums like this with all of us sharing our experiences.

Don't worry Craig (Mr. Plantdrive) hasn't joined here yet :P, but to avoid any confusion I think you are referring to a cheaper "kit" vendor than them who I won't even give publicity to.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:12 pm

SkySkiJason wrote:
jordanmills wrote:It seems to work for plantdrive. When I can afford a good SVO pump, I'll tap into the test ports on the heads.

"It seems to be selling kits for Plantdrive" may be more accurate. I'm not picking on anyone (especially Craig :wink: ) - unless they claim to be a VO expert. I don't think there are any of these, yet.

Statistically, the CHEAPEST vo 'conversion kits' (using that term quite loosely) are the biggest sellers. Unfortunately, they are also the biggest promoters of mis-information. They do this to sell 'kits'.

Choose what you believe wisely. 8)

This is very true. If I had unlimited time and money, I'd tap into the head test ports. But I don't, plus I like experimenting.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby hheynow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 pm

SunWizard wrote:Don't worry Craig (Mr. Plantdrive) hasn't joined here yet :P

But Ed Beggs of Plantdrive of Canada has. Ed is really Mr. Plantdrive...he started it. Craig and Ed are partners. Craig sells only in the USA and Ed worldwide excluding the USA.

The aluminum billet sold by Plant Drive costs $200. Disregarding its price, it's a godsend to quick purging in the 1st gen PSD with its huge fuel bowl. I can recommend it highly. I am 100% ignorant of the 2nd gen PSDs. Don't even know if Plant Drive sells the aluminum block for that fuel bowl.
Last edited by hheynow on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Eh, they quoted me $300 when I asked. Still, that's a pretty expensive block of aluminum.

So I just got my stuff put back together and she doesn't run. Yay. Even with the fuel bowl full, she acts starved.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:57 pm

To clarify the above, at the moment I have a two tank system without the second tank. That is, I removed the fuel bowl filter and placed a filter between the pump and the fuel bowl. I sealed everything up, let the system pressureize, and checked for leaks. It pressurizes fine, but the truck acts like she's starving for fuel. I know plenty of diesel is getting to the bowl because it fills up quickly (flow rate verified by monitoring a jug at the end of a line on the drain pipe).
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Oh then there's the fun part. If I replace the stock filter (so I have the pump, my big aftermarket filter, then the stock filter in the fuel bowl), she works fine.

I'm guessing that Ford (likely wisely) decided to make it so she don't work without a filter installed. I'm going to need that machined filter replacement here soon.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:16 pm

SunWizard wrote:Don't worry Craig (Mr. Plantdrive) hasn't joined here yet :P, but to avoid any confusion I think you are referring to a cheaper "kit" vendor than them who I won't even give publicity to.

:wink: , we're on the same page!

As for Jordan..., I'm glad you are willing to experiment. PLEASE keep us informed about what you learn! My stomach (and my lovely, so-far supportive, wife) would not tolerate me wrecking a $10k PSD engine.

I have a $159 VO pump. Can be had as low as $100 w/a LIFETIME warranty. I was VERY broke when I was doing my conversion - there's something about being hurt badly and being out of work for over a year... I met several PSD's w/VO conversions and between them there was a BIG pile of $3-400 fuel pumps - none had a warranty. I could not 'risk' having all my available $$ invested in a system and the pump fail and not be able to use it. Frankly though, it is an oddity I have had such loong success w/this pump, but it wouldn't have cost anything to replace!
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Okay here's where it gets fun. If you're familiar with the 7.3 L PSD fuel bowl, you know there's a little spike in the middle of it. That's a spring-loaded lock. It only opens up if the little dimple in the very top middle is pressed in. The stock fuel filter does this. You can neatly remove it by unscrewing the bowl heater and sliding the whole assembly out the bottom. This, however, presents another problem; the problem I face now.

There's a lot of gritty gunk in the bottom of my fuel bowl. I am really not interested in this crap going through my injectors. So disinterested that I immediately reassembled the valve before I stopped to ponder the situation. I suppose I could clean it out by hand somehow (carb cleaner?) before going without the stock filter. But do I really want to bet my injectors on it?
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:20 pm

SkySkiJason wrote:
SunWizard wrote:Don't worry Craig (Mr. Plantdrive) hasn't joined here yet :P, but to avoid any confusion I think you are referring to a cheaper "kit" vendor than them who I won't even give publicity to.

:wink: , we're on the same page!

As for Jordan..., I'm glad you are willing to experiment. PLEASE keep us informed about what you learn! My stomach (and my lovely, so-far supportive, wife) would not tolerate me wrecking a $10k PSD engine.

I have a $159 VO pump. Can be had as low as $100 w/a LIFETIME warranty. I was VERY broke when I was doing my conversion - there's something about being hurt badly and being out of work for over a year... I met several PSD's w/VO conversions and between them there was a BIG pile of $3-400 fuel pumps - none had a warranty. I could not 'risk' having all my available $$ invested in a system and the pump fail and not be able to use it. Frankly though, it is an oddity I have had such loong success w/this pump, but it wouldn't have cost anything to replace!

I'm keeping all my notes, and making sure to post most of what I find on these forums - despite many people telling me I'm stupid and I need to just buy a whole kit from an expert. I'd much rather learn it myself, then be a useful resource. And supposedly my truck has a full warranty for a couple of years, so I should be okay.

So what pump do you have? I'm just using a spare stock pump I had around from a replacement I didn't need to make. It cost right at $150.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:39 pm

jordanmills wrote:Oh then there's the fun part. If I replace the stock filter (so I have the pump, my big aftermarket filter, then the stock filter in the fuel bowl), she works fine.

I'm guessing that Ford (likely wisely) decided to make it so she don't work without a filter installed. I'm going to need that machined filter replacement here soon.

Dear God! $300 :roll:

Ok, I think ITP diesel has a 'fuel bowl delete' option. Nevermind, ya still need a FPR.

I just can't help myself from trying to advise against using the stock fuel line and fuel bowl!! Help me understand your logic!

I realize you have alot of time invested in trying to do this that way, but I really don't see it being any 'easier' than what FN74 originally did and myself and many others have had such great sucess with...

For $$'s sake, my 'aircraft aluminum' fuel line was just over $1/ft, manifold block like $20, black-iron HIH ends about $6each - the pump and FPR were the only individual high-dollar items.

Please know that I want you to be successful. I have nothing to gain if you are or aren't. I have a very open mind and realize there are MANY ways to do this, however, there are also some proven ways to fail. You are not the first to try to overcome these obstacles, either.

I see more and more people who have fallen for the hype that it is 'easy' to make a diesel run on VO. Truth is, it is easy - even Mythbusters "PROVED" it. But the fact is, if you want to SAVE money, you will be ahead to spend money wisely up front with a well thought out and designed 'system'. It is VERY TRUE that the number of vehicles ruined by VO is adding up RAPIDLY. The problem is, these people don't come back to tell you they gave you bad advice (NOBODY likes to admit they were wrong). Look for the folks w/a few miles under their belt or better yet, folks that have EVOLVED their sysytems to compensate for inadequacies. Cheap VO conversions OFTEN cost more in the long run.
SkySkiJason

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:42 pm

We be postin' at the same time - and I be a slooow typer... :wink:
SkySkiJason

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:44 pm

You're right, I need to just buck up and use a completely secondary fuel system tied into the test ports on the heads. But I'm the kind of guy who would rather learn the "hard way", as long as I get to choose the way I learn (that is, if I don't get a choice, I probably want it "easy").
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 pm

SkySkiJason wrote:I see more and more people who have fallen for the hype that it is 'easy' to make a diesel run on VO. Truth is, it is easy - even Mythbusters "PROVED" it. But the fact is, if you want to SAVE money, you will be ahead to spend money wisely up front with a well thought out and designed 'system'. It is VERY TRUE that the number of vehicles ruined by VO is adding up RAPIDLY. The problem is, these people don't come back to tell you they gave you bad advice (NOBODY likes to admit they were wrong). Look for the folks w/a few miles under their belt or better yet, folks that have EVOLVED their sysytems to compensate for inadequacies. Cheap VO conversions OFTEN cost more in the long run.

This is my third major revision of my fuel system, and second major revision of my filtering/dewatering system. I see failure as an inherent part of learning - I expect to and have no problem recognizing when I do. If you didn't risk failure, you were just doing what someone else already learned.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

PreviousNext

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion