Help me diagnose my misbehaving SVO system?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Okay here's what I did to solve the filter issue. First I removed the filter and the little mast thing in there (had to remove the bowl heater element to do that). Then I took the spring, pin, and valve out of the mast, wrapped them up and saved them, and put the element and mast back in. Now it passes fuel even without a filter cap.

That knocked some rust and gunk loose, so I thoroughly cleaned out the bowl:
drained and reserved the diesel that was in there
washed it down good with engine degreaser
rinsed that with brake cleaner
flushed it all down with some diesel
All of the above was collected and will be put in the fluid recycling at my local auto parts store.

I put the reserve diesel back in the bowl and screwed the cap back on.

I figure that while a little gunk may still be in there, it will tend to sink to the bottom, and what does get kicked up will go out the return. I couldn't FEEL (or see) anything in there, but I'm still not risking my injectors on crud.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that tapping the test ports is a far better way to do this.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
2-tank custom/self-built SVO system
jordanmills

Postby hheynow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 pm

You were very smart to thoroughly clean the filter bowl. Prior to me installing the aluminum billet I removed my fuel bowl and cleaned it out with brake cleaner too. I installed a 28 micron post filter just prior to the fuel pump as injector insurance from any flakes of chicken skin oil that may come loose from the vegtherm.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:10 am

Me again. It didn't work. Well, mostly. It works fine on diesel - great flow through the aftermarket filter, no problems with switching, etc etc. But the VO ain't happy. I can't get enough flow through the VO filter to keep doing much more than idle. Even with oil running at engine operating temperature (heated pickup, pump, heat exchanger, heated filter, in that order), it bogs down. So I'm out near Pensacola, FL looking for a better filter, better pump, or both. I'd love any reasonable offer of donation or sale of either. I'm pretty sure I could get by if I just had a bigger filter, but don't know where to look for one around here.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SunWizard » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:34 am

I would suspect the pump or air leaks first. since if the filter is new it shouldn't have much restriction. My truck runs fine on a small 4" tall goldenrod filter element, good for 5k miles.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 am

so you think i'm sucking air in before the pump? this is a stock fuel pump, you think that's going to push enough?
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SunWizard » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 am

I don't know I never tried one. The other issue that would quickly clog your filter is if you still had some water in your tank or VO.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:57 am

hm. well it's already filtered to 10 u and dewatered. it shouldn't clog the filter at all. and i'm not using a water block filter specifically to eliminate that.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby hheynow » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Jordan when I first tested my kit after the conversion I used 2 cubies of virgin soy. This was to eliminate a vegoil problem should the system not work properly. Once I felt confident that all was well I started using my filtered and de-watered oil. Sure it's a PITA to siphon a tank but it may be a way to eliminate the oil as a problem until the bugs are worked out. My $.02
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I did run it on some diesel before hoking up the vo just to make sure the plumbing worked, and it was fine.
so i'm driving around today and it seems to be woring fine. I guess i'll keep pushing my upper speed to see how she goes.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:14 pm

What is the VO temp before the filter? Your stock pump ain't gonna like sucking cold/cool VO thru any filter.

Maybe consider a filter heater like this?
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/sc ... product=18

Are you able to check fuel pressure while driving?

An easy way to check it while parked is to hook a piece of hose up to drain on factory filter bowl. (I brought my hose down to just below steering linkage - now I can easily collect the contents of my filter bowl into a water/soda bottle for inspection :wink: ) Put any pressure gauge on there w/hose barb on it, then open filter drain to check pressure. I used a cheap water press gauge I had 'laying around'. I also put clamps on the little piece of hose right behind/below filter drain valve. This little hose connect to steel tubing that takes contents down front of block...
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby jordanmills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Don't know, guess I should put a thermometer in it. But it runs through a 26 plate fphe immediately before the filter, so I'd guess it gets pretty hot.

Don't have my fuel pressure gauge hooked up yet, need to do that too. I have the tube hooked up, but haven't done anything with it.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 pm

SkySkiJason has saved my bacon. His recommended fuel pump is able to shove oil through my filter fast enough to keep up with freeway speeds. I found one at the "local" (eg 20 miles away, which is a bit of a hike when I'm used to being able to walk to mine) autozone, replaced the previous one, and it works great. They didn't have the fuel filter that zooman recommended, but with the 100 psi pump, I'm doing fine with the previous.
I think this means this revision of my two tank system is a success. I am going to eventually just tap the test ports and put the stuck fuel system back together, but I'm going to enjoy the fruits of this for a while.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Thats good to hear. What pump is it, to help out future readers of this thread? I looked back and couldn't find his recommendation?
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby jordanmills » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Now why didn't I think of that? I just went to autozone, asked for a replacement for my truck (02 f-250 psd) and checked to see if the specs matched what I wanted (100 psi at 50 gpm minimum). They did.

It's a Master brand pump, part E2236, UPC 080044514589.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby Burbarian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:34 pm

A 'heads up' to anybody who wants to buy the above mentioned pump on ebay. A quick search for 'E2236' brings up this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0170229234
Quite an attractive offering. A new pump for $65 with 1 year warranty.

The seller, 'Global Automotive' has several listed.

A quick search on google brings this up regarding the seller:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/viewsimilar ... ref=257084

It is claimed by several complainants that the pumps are of poor quality, and that the seller does not honour the warranty. I have no doubt that should a vo user encounter a prematurely failed pump purchased from this seller, that the use of vo would be at least partly (and possibly incorrectly) blamed.

Take the eBay feedback rating with a grain of salt, and the ripoff report with a grain of salt. You pay your money, and you make your choices.
Burbarian

PreviousNext

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion