Could an Onboard Centrifuge Be Belt Driven?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Could an Onboard Centrifuge Be Belt Driven?

Postby toddserious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Could the pump to provide the necessary pressure to spin the centrifuge in an onboard (holy grail) setup simply be run just like a power steering pump? By that I mean run the pump with belt off of the engine. I realize the RPM of this power source varies so the real question may be is it possible to regulate the flow and pressure of the dirty WVO in a setup like this? Coolant could heat the oil and the engine spins the pump.
I am thinking about building a 3 tank system: 1 Diesel tank 2 WVO. So running on WVO from one tank while the other gets spun towards cleanliness.

1990 Ford E-350 7.3L Homebuilt 2 tank WVO for 20,000 Miles and runnin
toddserious

Re: Could an Onboard Centrifuge Be Belt Driven?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:07 am

Yes you could do it. The pump needs to be big enough to produce enough pressure and flow at idle. At higher RPM there will be a large excess of flow that will need to be bypassed with a good pressure relief valve.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby toddserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Wizard you've got a really helpful and well organized forum.
Almost all of my driving is on the highway so I was thinking about optimizing the pump for say 50 miles per hour. Is there a problem with the pressure being to low while I'm idling or puttering through town besides the oil not being cleaned properly until I get out on the open road?
Do you know of a system where I could deactivate a clutch manually or automatically (based on engine RPM) so that the drive pump would not be spinning all the time?
Is there something that I'm missing that makes this less efficient than running a DC electric motor as I don't see any reference to anyone else trying this type of setup?
toddserious

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:11 pm

If the pressure gets too low, the rotor stops spinning and it will dump its contents of some dirt and water into the clean WVO. What you would need is a pressure regulator which is more complex and expensive than a pressure relief. And it may not regulate very well with WVO as the temp changes, most are designed for water. With an electric pump, pressure is set once and doesn't change much.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Keeping slippery VO off the belt would be a challenge.
John Galt

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering