Injector temperature

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Re: Injector temperature

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 am

SunWizard wrote:If you loop the diesel to avoid this, then you would get the same time to switchover as if you didn't heat the diesel at all. But your WVO will be cooler at switchover and for the first few minutes, since its not sitting still in the hot FPHE during the warmup time. And this option would add the problem of any air that gets in the loop would never have a chance to get out, and could build up to cause trouble.

othello wrote:Oh, I need to understand that last sentence better.
Why would I possibly "accumulate" air in the system if I pre-heat both diesel and WVO, meaning the FPHE is installed after the last electrical switch valve??
If you could please elaborate on this point.

Looping the diesel return would be the only way to avoid heating your diesel tank. But if you loop, there is no way for air to get out. Draw a diagram of your fuel flow to understand better, here is mine which is looped on WVO, return on diesel:
othello wrote:But hesitation still troubles me at times. I don't know the cause but trapped air could be one of them.
The other could be a clogged filter.
Since I try and clean my oil very diligently (with a centrifuge) I think the heated WVO oil filter should last longer than the 500 to 1500 miles I get. Unless it runs to cool and glyzerin or whatever else is in this oil clogs it, and not dirt.
At what temperature should the WVO typically pass thru the filter?

It depends on the WVO and what kind of fats it has. Meat fats and PHO can clog a filter at 100F even in small amounts. Suspended water is a common problem to cause clogs that quick, are you testing every batch?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby othello » Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 am

[quote="SunWizard"][quote="othello"]
At what temperature should the WVO typically pass thru the filter?[/quote]

It depends on the WVO and what kind of fats it has. Meat fats and PHO can clog a filter at 100F even in small amounts. Suspended water is a common problem to cause clogs that quick, are you testing every batch?[/quote]

To clean the WVO I settle and prefilter the oil, often for quite some time.
Then I use a set up similar to what you suggested in one of the posts, just mine is smaller, I clean using a Dieselcraft centrifuge and a 10 gallon container.
I have tested some batches of oil and when I run the oil thru the centrifuge for an hour (10 gallon in 1 hour, about 6 passes) the hot pan test never gave me any indication of water. But I am not so comfortable with these qualitative test and currently want to set up the pressure test using calcium carbide.
So to answer your question, no, I do not test EVERY batch of oil I clean, but I spot check.

Your question regarding the animal fats concerns me more. Living in Maine most of my oil would "self test" for PHO since it is often cool, but if the restaurant dumped meat fats in the oil is harder for me to know. They are frying meat in it, so chances are, unfortunately, that meat fat makes it's way into the oil.

But this leads to the larger question of what contaminants (from the point of view of my MB engine) can I expect to clean out using a centrifuge set up.
Water seems to come out, plain old dirt seems to come out, but what else, PHO does not clean using a centrifuge??
Nor does animal fat?

And do these contaminats show up in lab reports? (I will have my first lab test done in a few days!)
othello

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 13, 2012 1:11 pm

othello wrote:Water seems to come out, plain old dirt seems to come out, but what else, PHO does not clean using a centrifuge??
Nor does animal fat?

Correct. Cold settling is the best way to get rid of them. Keep the WVO in a barrel for a few weeks at temps lower than you plan to use it at. Or the other option is to design your conversion so that its always >100F at the filter, which my vehicles do. Then you can burn even 100% PHO which is easier to find lots of sources of around here.
And do these contaminats show up in lab reports? (I will have my first lab test done in a few days!)

No, and they aren't contaminants, they burn better and are less subject to poly than non-PHO. Although animal fat can smell bad and go rancid (vomit smell) much quicker.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby othello » Tue May 15, 2012 4:00 am

SunWizard wrote: Or the other option is to design your conversion so that its always >100F at the filter, which my vehicles do. Then you can burn even 100% PHO which is easier to find lots of sources of around here.

No, and they aren't contaminants, they burn better and are less subject to poly than non-PHO. Although animal fat can smell bad and go rancid (vomit smell) much quicker.

Sunwizard, I would love to see that filter heater. My car came with a greascar filter heater which was a poor performer. I built a better version which improved the temperature of the oil in the grease filter by quite a bit, but it would be good to see other people's solutions.
(Are you doing demos? I am driving thru your neighborhood soon on a cross country trip?)

A better filter heater becomes more important since I got my lab report and it seems that my fuel is not causing problems.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-05-15 at 5.49.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-05-15 at 5.49.58 AM.png (77.35 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
othello

Postby SunWizard » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 am

othello wrote:Sunwizard, I would love to see that filter heater. My car came with a greascar filter heater which was a poor performer. I built a better version which improved the temperature of the oil in the grease filter by quite a bit, but it would be good to see other people's solutions.

Mine is a simple wrap with rubber fuel line, you can see it in the converted vehicles section here. Most of my heat at the filter is from the TiH line just before it.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion