thinking of quitting

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

thinking of quitting

Postby belchfire » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 pm

I have been interested in alternative fuel technology since the '80s and was introduced to the veg oil diesel about 6 years ago. I got a VW pick-up and installed a turbo diesel engine. Then after weighing bio v/s svo I decided on svo. A lot of trial and error went into getting things working reliably and now have a system that works well. A blown radiator hose caused the first rebuild but it still didn't run right so I had the pump rebuilt. Normal wear, not too bad. The second time the belt jumped a tooth and bent the valves. It had been running poorly beforehand & I thought that that might be the reason. After the rebuild, it ran away 3 times. I took the pump in and the rebuild will be only $900 because they happen to have some used parts. There was a lot of crud inside which is possibly from a couple of cheap filters I was running but there was substantial erosion that they said was from the oil being too acidic. I am reluctant to continue using svo if I cannot correct this problem. I have a supply of good liquid oil that I heat up and run through a 10 micron bag filter. In the truck it goes through a 30 micron Racor filter and then through the stock VW filter which, I believe, is a 10 micron. Heat is about 150* at the pump and 200* at the injectors. I want to keep my processing to a minimum as if I'm going to spend a lot of time working with it, then how much more of a step is it go the full bio-diesel route? I am reluctant to run it on svo again as I can't afford another rebuild, yet I have 500 gallons of the stuff. Suggestions,help?
belchfire

Re: thinking of quitting

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Test your WVO for FFA, then you can be sure its not a problem with acidic oil. Thread about easy test strips here:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/wvo-ffa-water-testing-t827.html
Also be sure your water testing is good, it will cause erosion in the IP and injectors quicker than anything. Both of these tests are much easier than making bio, where you need to test for FFA too.

Sounds like most of your problem has been things other than WVO, and would have occurred even if running diesel. A tougher vehicle like a mercedes, dodge, or ford powerstroke could save lots of headaches.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby belchfire » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 pm

I guess that I'll have to start from zero again. I've been heating it to close to 300* which should remove just about all of the water. Except for some condensation in the fuel tank cap, I've never had any come out of the tank drain and none in the Racor or VW fuel filters. Doesn't mean that there still couldn't be some entrained that's making it's way through. I heard that the Bosch pumps were suppose to be pretty tough so the VW seemed to be a reasonable choice. I have a Mercedes 300TD in the shop that I was going to put in a project car but I don't want to think about how much that pump costs to rebuild. The mechanical problems are independent of the fuel being used but the pump problem is not. I've lost count of how many injectors I've bought and rebuilt. I really want to get this squared away as I'll have to run SVO for the next 20 years just to break even. Your reference article is pretty long winded so it'll take some time to go through it but I hope it helps.
belchfire

Postby John Galt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:25 am

I've been heating it to close to 300* which should remove just about all of the water.
Yup, a common misconception that's destroyed many fuel systems. Unless you're actually TESTING for water you're just guessing and hoping.
about1031.html
John Galt

Postby MikeGoodman59 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 pm

RE: heating to 300F. I started by thinking if I heated the oil in a turkey fryer to (get this) 350F that it HAD to remove the water, right? Wrong. I did just that (it got away from me). Then I let it cool and took a sample off the top of the turkery fryer and ... shocked me ... there were still water bubbles in the frying pan. I've tried the original flash evaporator but the nozzles clogged. I''m sticking with the Centrifuge. Many thanks to SunWizard for laying out those plans. I used to work evaps on merchant/naval vessels. You just have to love thermodynamics. The key to a happy vegger is dry and clean. My oil shed has 2 bbls, a bag filter barrel from the settled oil down to 5 micron and then the transfer to the CF barrel. When i look at a 55-gal barrel of black, shiny oil compared to the yellowish, hazy pre-CF's fuel, the contrast is amazing. This year, with the advent of my solar hot water system, I hope to put heat with solar energy. I'll put the 240V heater in the bbl on standby.
Mike Goodman
High Point, NC
1983 MB 2-tank (Modified Greasel, 2005)
1982 VW Rabbit Truck (Custom Conversion, 12/09)
1998 Dodge 12V 5.9L (Golden Fuels, 07/12)
DieselCraft processor
Tinkering w/BD
2.8 KW grid-tie/batt back-up
6-4x10 solar heat/HW wood stove
MikeGoodman59

Postby Ericmitchell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 pm

belchfire wrote:I have been interested in alternative fuel technology since the '80s and was introduced to the veg oil diesel about 6 years ago. I got a VW pick-up and installed a turbo diesel engine. Then after weighing bio v/s svo I decided on svo. A lot of trial and error went into getting things working reliably and now have a system that works well. A blown radiator hose caused the first rebuild but it still didn't run right so I had the pump rebuilt. Normal wear, not too bad. The second time the belt jumped a tooth and bent the valves. It had been running poorly beforehand & I thought that that might be the reason. After the rebuild, it ran away 3 times. I took the pump in and the rebuild will be only $900 because they happen to have some used parts. There was a lot of crud inside which is possibly from a couple of cheap filters I was running but there was substantial erosion that they said was from the oil being too acidic. I am reluctant to continue using svo if I cannot correct this problem. I have a supply of good led lighting liquid oil that I heat up and run through a 10 micron bag filter. In the truck it goes through a 30 micron Racor filter and then through the stock VW filter which, I believe, is a 10 micron. Heat is about 150* at the pump and 200* at the injectors. I want to keep my processing to a minimum as if I'm going to spend a lot of time working with it, then how much more of a step is it go the full bio-diesel route? I am reluctant to run it on svo again as I can't afford another rebuild, yet I have 500 gallons of the stuff. Suggestions,help?

This is a big problem to solve so it is better to get away..
Ericmitchell

Postby leapingbuddha » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Solar hot water system for dewatering?. That sounds right up my alley. Tell me more. leapingbuddha
leapingbuddha

Return to Beginners section and FAQ