98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP

Postby MikeGoodman59 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Two Questions: First, I had an IP solenoid fail. It's an inline pump, the Bosch P7100 pump. I just bought the truck. No beefs; these things happen. I got lucky ... twice ... hit it with a multi-tool and it unstuck, got home and tried it again and it with some "persuasion," got unstuck again. This kind of luck won't last long. The one that failed had "Woodward" on the side, I think ... definitely not OEM.

I went to a Dodge dealer. $6xx dollars and a 12-month warranty. (Didn't have one to look at)
I went to NAPA and theirs is $5xx and 36 months, at any NAPA
I went to Alligator Performance and theirs looks just like the one from NAPA ($237 + 14 s/h) - 30 days with them, 1 year if I mail to their supplier.
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/105 ... -9976.html
Please review the picture

(WHOA! ... just found this one!)
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp ... SA-4981-12
Item Number: SA-4981-12
Unit Price: $110.00

1) Does this happen a lot?
2) Will it unstick? (not likely)
3) OEM or not OEM? NAPA or on-line?
4) If on-line, buy 2 and cause too important to not have a spare? [The goal is Alaska!]
5) NAPA & OEM have all these extra brackets ... for other configurations? Mine is straight swap-out?
6) Is this as simple as it looks? Looks like 2 bolts and cotter key. Or is it tight in there and, thus, tricky?

Second: KDP ... Vehicle has 276K. When does this happen and if not by now am I safe. Trying to find the original owner. First guy is hard to track down. Only 2 owners. Is this an easy inspection? And then is it an easy repair for a Dodge guy ? Just get the kit? Don't think I would do this myself.

Any help appreciated,
Mike Goodman
High Point, NC
1983 MB 300SD, 2-tank 50K miles
1982 VW Rabbit, 2 tanks, 20K miles
1998 12V Dodge Ram 2500 ... converting soon
MikeGoodman59

Re: 98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Its never happened on mine in 6 years of rough use, 190k on it. I don't think its a common problem since I haven't read threads complaining about it on the dodge forums, but everything that moves has a lifespan. I think its lifespan is long ~150k and I don't carry one around since its a stock item from parts stores all over the US. Some of those prices you were quoted sound like more than just a solenoid!
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: 98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP / Conversion

Postby MikeGoodman59 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Don't get what you mean by: "Some of those prices you were quoted sound like more than just a solenoid!" Can you explain? Do you mean that I'd be buying more than the solenoid? I know the kits have brackets. You don't mean that it's some other problem, do you? If it doesn't start and I rap the solenoid with a multi-tool, it starts. More than just a solenoid? Like what?

Other questions:

3) OEM or not OEM? NAPA or on-line? Is $600+ too much? Is the $110 too little? My cousin at Chrysler says the OEM is made in US and it's hard to believe that the $110 is NOT made in China. Makes the quality doubtful, I think.
6) Is this as simple as it looks?

I tried to research the CarFax as it pertains to the KDP. No luck. Would you pull the timing cover and install the KDP kit as needed? Did they make a fix to it in 96 or 97 that would eliminate the concer.

Finally, I know you said it's too complicated under the hood to take pictures, but I'd be interested in knowing where you made the breaks and connections for the fuel, particularly around the stock fuel filter. I am looking for a conversion around here, but haven't had the luck.

Mike Goodman
MikeGoodman59

Re: 98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP / Conversion

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm

MikeGoodman59 wrote:Don't get what you mean by: "Some of those prices you were quoted sound like more than just a solenoid!" Can you explain? Do you mean that I'd be buying more than the solenoid? I know the kits have brackets.

A solenoid shouldn't cost $600, that is too much. Only you would know what they are selling, by looking at it.
6) Is this as simple as it looks?

I don't know since I haven't had to do it. Same answer to the other questions.
Finally, I know you said it's too complicated under the hood to take pictures, but I'd be interested in knowing where you made the breaks and connections for the fuel, particularly around the stock fuel filter. I am looking for a conversion around here, but haven't had the luck.

I cut each line at a place that was easiest to reach. Near the stock filter, I removed the short line from it to the IP to cut it, put in my tee, then re-connected it. The only other one near the filter was the injector return which I cut just behind the filter. It doesn't matter where you cut them, you can cut the lines anyplace you prefer, or some people replace the lines with completely new lines which is less likely to ever leak but far more expensive.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: 98 5.9L IP Solenoid / KDP

Postby MikeGoodman59 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Got a Woodward solenoid from JEGS HIGH PERFORMANCE. First one (also a Woodward) had to be rappped to work. Replacement sometimes worked but not at first key turn. The old one's length was one turn shorter. Tried replacement as is.

Yesterday the truck wouldn't start. I found the hitch clip (R-Pin) had come out, embarassed to say but true. The arm was on but slightly out to where it covered the pin hole. Didn't do any damage, did I? Can't imagine I did.

I now find that when it doesn't move that if I key the switch and then lift up, the thing holds - clicks up tight. I finally took about a turn. Still doing it.

Is Woodward common replacement? Go OEM? Paid $220 and OEM is like $600 plus, crazy money. NAPA is $500 but 3-yr warranty vs 1-yr for OEM.
Any damage from the dropped key?
Mike Goodman
High Point, NC
1983 MB 2-tank (Modified Greasel, 2005)
1982 VW Rabbit Truck (Custom Conversion, 12/09)
1998 Dodge 12V 5.9L (Golden Fuels, 07/12)
DieselCraft processor
Tinkering w/BD
2.8 KW grid-tie/batt back-up
6-4x10 solar heat/HW wood stove
MikeGoodman59

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion