Newbie Question: 100% Waste Veg Possible?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Newbie Question: 100% Waste Veg Possible?

Postby TroyHaas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:16 am

Hey guys, I'm sure this is the dumbest question you'll hear/read for a while, but after scouring the web for a while I haven't been able to find a clear-cut answer (could be operator error), but here it goes.

Is 100% waste-veggie oil possible? Obviously it would have to be a two tank system, but is it possible to do so without and blending?
TroyHaas

Re: Newbie Question: 100% Waste Veg Possible?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 am

TroyHaas wrote:Is 100% waste-veggie oil possible? Obviously it would have to be a two tank system, but is it possible to do so without and blending?

With my 2 tank system, I run on 100% WVO after the engine has warmed up. No blending. I burn a little diesel until its warmed up, and then I can drive all day without burning any more diesel.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby TroyHaas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 pm

SunWizard wrote:With my 2 tank system, I run on 100% WVO after the engine has warmed up. No blending. I burn a little diesel until its warmed up, and then I can drive all day without burning any more diesel.

Thanks for the answer! Here is another question: how do you physically collect waste veg from restaurants? You can't take their oil drums, so what is the procedure there?
TroyHaas

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:51 pm

TroyHaas wrote:Thanks for the answer! Here is another question: how do you physically collect waste veg from restaurants? You can't take their oil drums, so what is the procedure there?

A 12 volt or a gas powered pump into a 55 gallon barrel in my truck. See the Collecting, Filtering section here for pics and description of my pumps and others ideas too.

At one place where the WVO was solid PHO during half the year, and too thick to pump, I put my own drums there and picked them up with a tailgate lift that goes into the hitch on my truck, also described in that section. I quit collecting from that place, since that method was too hard on my back, and I found better places that use no PHO.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ