Have you had to rebuild your Fuel Injector Pump?

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Have you had to rebuild your Fuel Injector Pump?

Postby RockinRobin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:42 pm

I bought a 1995 dodge with a 12valve 95000 mile cummins on it to run SVO. I live in Southern California and I bought the truck to be a daily and recreational driver.
I was about to start buying my parts to make the Sun Wizard conversion but then this happened:

The Problem:
A diesel mechanic told me that he's had to rebuild hundreds of Fuel Injector Pumps (bosch p7100) because of SVO.
Supposedly people aren't filtering it right and the extra grit left is acting like sand paper in the pump and destroying them.
He recommended me not to run SVO from WVO.Supposedly all P7100's need rebuilding at some point because the fuel racks get worn out.
These trucks get slower and slower and people usually don't realize how bad their pumps are. They just keep adjusting the idle not realizing
that diesels don't act like gas vehicles in the sense that idle adjustment solves the problem when in reality they are just prolonging having
to rebuild their fuel injector pump.

My Oil:
I get my oil straight from the fryer to my barrel. It is Peanut Oil used to cook french fries. I let it cool overnight in the collection
barrel and then pour that into a 75micron barrel filter. I let that settle for about 2 weeks at outside temp out of the elements and
under a garage. Then I pump off the top through a hand crank into a 5 micron sock filter into a 1 micron sock filter into another
barrel and I let that settle. Then i pump off the top into cubies to see if there's any water left. I haven't began running my oil because
of this one mechanic's words of wisdom.

I haven't done the SunWizard conversion although that was the design I was going to use. (except I was told not to loop my return)

Questions:

Am I filtering my oil enough?

Will the way I'm filtering it destroy my Fuel Injector Pump?

Sun Wizard, have you had to rebuild your fuel injector pump?

Has anyone had to rebuild their fuel injector pump?

* He said the Mercedes is able to run SVO without a problem because of the size of the injector pump. From what I researched my truck is able to run SVO no problem but from what he says i guess not.

* I know that filters only filter at a percentage for example 5 microns filters at 100% of 10microns but at a percentage of 5 microns.

* Your expertise is appreciated. If you can talk on the phone I would appreciate it please send me your number and I'll call you when I can

Thanks
RockinRobin

Re: Have you had to rebuild your Fuel Injector Pump?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm

RockinRobin wrote:Am I filtering my oil enough?

That sounds like enough filtering, but may not be enough dewatering. Test every batch for water content, and its harder to remove than filtering.
Will the way I'm filtering it destroy my Fuel Injector Pump?

Not likely.
Sun Wizard, have you had to rebuild your fuel injector pump?

No, and very few I have heard of in the 8 years I have been reading every WVO forum.
* He said the Mercedes is able to run SVO without a problem because of the size of the injector pump. From what I researched my truck is able to run SVO no problem but from what he says i guess not.

The dodge IP is an inline Bosch unit almost identical to the mercedes but about 2x as big. So his talk about size is wrong, which makes me wonder about the rest of his advice. They are both the toughest you can get for WVO.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby RockinRobin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Is acidity an important factor as well?

You say you haven't had to rebuild your Pump but have you had to adjust the idle?

Is replacing the Injectors a smart thing to do to start fresh?

Is a push pump necessary to do before the lift pump?

what temperature does your tank heater get your oil to?

Thank you
SunWizard
RockinRobin

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 am

RockinRobin wrote:Is acidity an important factor as well?

High FFA is bad because it can allow the WVO to hold onto much more water.
You say you haven't had to rebuild your Pump but have you had to adjust the idle?

Yes when I first got the truck, before I ever ran any WVO, and no adjusting in the 6 years since.
Is replacing the Injectors a smart thing to do to start fresh?

No.
Is a push pump necessary to do before the lift pump?

No. The stock lift pump on this truck is the strongest you can get, any pump you add would be far weaker and a waste of money.
what temperature does your tank heater get your oil to?

You don't want much heat in the tank, its around 100F, the FPHE is where most heat comes from and the WVO after it is always 160-180F.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database