new to wvo, high expectations.

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Re: new to wvo, high expectations.

Postby John Galt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I mentioned " water content is too low to tell." I should have added "For this method". I can see how someone might get the wrong impression that I was stating that the water level was far too low to tell with ANY method of detection.

That makes more sense.
John Galt

Postby akcoalroller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks guys. I'll have to just start asking more questions. I'm looking for a possible simple dewatering process. I see most people use a centerfuge? I'm going to test the oil again tonight. As far as testing it, I did it on a stove. I was advised to use a hot plate originally. Was I advised to use a hot plate because its a gradual heat? And won't cause the oil to boil so fast or.....? And the other method, getting the pan to temp then dropping in a small amount of oil to see if it bubbles, is this also done with hot plate, or a stove? Does it matter?
akcoalroller

Postby Renntag » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't believe that "most use a Centrifuge" as this is a large investment and simple methods are also effective.

As for the pan or hot plate test, you just need heat. Using an open flame heat source increases the risk of fire. Electric resistance heat is the safest. Start with simple repeatable methods.
Settling is your best friend. Take samples in glass jars and allow it to settle for visual inspection. Watch your sample clear and look for the layer of crud at the bottom. This is just a rough observation, but helps with the learning process as you become more familiar with the process of dealing with WVO.

Good luck.
Ask me about online scheduling and email marketing.
PlanGenius, better business efficiency, sign up now.
Renntag

Postby John Galt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 pm

I did it on a stove. I was advised to use a hot plate originally. Was I advised to use a hot plate because its a gradual heat? And won't cause the oil to boil so fast or.....? And the other method, getting the pan to temp then dropping in a small amount of oil to see if it bubbles, is this also done with hot plate, or a stove? Does it matter?

A 'hot plate' outside is safest. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a kitchen stove. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
The instructions for doing water tests is here:
about72.html

I don't use a centrifuge and I make clean dry fuel <300ppm without problems.

upflow-settling>petro-blending>cold-filtering to 5µ.

Simple, easy, cost-effective.
John Galt

Postby akcoalroller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:01 am

As of right now I have about 4 one liter veggie oil bottles filled up with what i have processed. Its mostly dark but there is a layer of crud at the bottom. Been settling for 3 days. Good idea to suck out the layer of good stuff on the top and leave the crud then and test for water? The layer of crud is about a half inch at the bottom. I appriciate the help guys. This is the first issue with water I have ran into.
akcoalroller

Postby Ericmitchell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

akcoalroller wrote:Hey guys, I've been collecting wvo for a little while now and almost have my filtration setup done. I purchased design plans online for the filtration setup. Have a 1/2hp pump to filter the oil from the dirty 55gallon drum to the clean 55gallon drum. All oil heated before transfer. The oil is to be filtered down to 5microns then suppose to be safe to use pending test results. I have several hundred gallons as of right now. My two vehicles to work with are a 1997 dodge ram 2500 12v (best engine cummins made for light duty trucks imo) also a 1981 Volkswagen rabbt 1.6l n/a (got it for free pulled it out of a field lol) took me four days to get the car running and its been doing great for months. I am a diesel tech by trade and I believe that this oil should have no problem being burnt through my vehicles. I'm not led lightingrequiring myself to run wvo during winter but if i can find a safe way of doing so i will. I am trying to be inexpensive but not fully sure if that's going to be possible. I currently run jetA in both vehicles full time, and ulsd when I feel like it. I have read threads that state that preheating can be nessasary depending on weather. The rabbit is stock with a twin filter setup, the cummins has a few mods to the injectionpump but nothing extreme (possibly 150-180hp over stock, guessing). I would prefer to blend fuels or just run straight wvo if possible. Looking for safe ways to do this while running single tank systems if possible is preheating going to be nessasary if weather is below 50 degrees f? Any help or comments will be greatly appriciated. Very excited for this project! Thanks in advance.

Are you working along or you have some assistants with you?
Ericmitchell

Postby John Galt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Good idea to suck out the layer of good stuff on the top and leave the crud then and test for water?

Of course.
John Galt

Previous

Return to Beginners section and FAQ