1.6l rabbit wvo blending

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1.6l rabbit wvo blending

Postby akcoalroller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I am currently running my rabbit of a blend of 40%veg and 60%jeta. I started the car on a 50/50 mixture but I'm not running heat yet so the car ran great for about a minute then lugged out and died. Added some jet to the racor and to the tank and then the car fired up and ran great. Any pros or cons to what i am doing? I'm going to route my coolant lines in several areas to transfer some heat over to the fuel but I do plan on running a fphe here in awhile. Pros and cons to fphe? Where is the best spot to mount? I have tested the fuel for water and didn't get any boiling or cracking up to 250degrees f. Thanks in advance guys, I'm new at this so any advice is helpful.
akcoalroller

Re: 1.6l rabbit wvo blending

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 pm

akcoalroller wrote:Any pros or cons to what i am doing?

Pro: simple. Con: filters will plug and you don't have a switch to flip like a 2 tank rig when it happens, and you can't blend in the winter (<20F at night) unless its such low % of WVO that its not worth it. 2 tank rig is cheaper in the long run since you have no cost of blend fuel in each tank.
Pros and cons to fphe?

Nothing but good, provides more heat and is perfectly regulated.
Where is the best spot to mount?

Anywhere you can fit it, while keeping the lines short.
I have tested the fuel for water and didn't get any boiling or cracking up to 250degrees f.

Thats not what to look for in the hot pan test. See:
Test Methods for Water in SVO
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby akcoalroller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 pm

thanks for the tips. ive got another batch of oil ready but the car hasnt burned all of the first tank off yet. only ran 150miles so far. ill try out that hot pan test. i was following instructions from the guy i got the filtration plans from. as far as the fphe, will this help out significantly in winter? i found one on ebay designed for wvo supposably and its about 60 bucks. i have two other vehicles aswell if i wont be able to get the rabbit to the point where it will run during winter. blockheaters are generally frequently used here.
akcoalroller

Postby John Galt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:52 am

At temperatures below 40°F the fats and PHO will settle out and clog filters and screens unless the UVO is cold filtered before it goes into the vehicle tank. Place samples of your test blends in the freezer to see winter characteristics.
John Galt

Postby akcoalroller » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks!
akcoalroller

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:39 pm

the fphe, will this help out significantly in winter?
An FPHE is essential in a climate that sees snow. The FPHE heats my fuel blend to 55°C to 75°C just before the fuel filter when the engine is running. For winter operation a block heater, a pad heater on the insulated FPHE, and a battery blanket over the injectors provides preheat for 2hr per 10°C below freezing.
John Galt

Postby akcoalroller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Much appriciated! That helps out alot!
akcoalroller

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending