'01 F350 DIY 2 tank

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

'01 F350 DIY 2 tank

Postby SkySkiJason » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm using a stock-type PSD pump, Magnafuel FPR, Wix filter head and 24006 10 mic filter (in that order). Currently using a 100 gal tank/toolbox combo w/no heat, total HIH is about 30ft using black iron tees and nipples (about 25ft of HIH in 'looped' return) and electric blanket heater on filter.

Diesel side is all stock except after stock filter fuel goes to a check valve (CV) and then manifold block. VO comes in the other side of block thru a CV. Fuel leaves the block and one line goes to each head (spliced into stock lines).

The diesel system operates at 58psi and the VO is regulated to 70psi. By turning on the VO pump, the diesel CV is closed and we are burnin' VO. If I leave the diesel pump on, if the press. drops below 58psi, the diesel CV will open, closing the VO CV and we'd be burnin' diesel again. I USE this feature to extend the VO filter's life. VO press. begins to drop under load when filter gets near the end of its life. This way, we never 'starve' the injectors for fuel. Average 4-5000 miles per filter and up to 9000 miles on a single filter.

Purge system uses opposite end (from supply) of heads and routes that fuel thru a solenoid valve and back to VO tank. By opening the valve after returning to diesel I can flush VO out of heads in a few seconds. Diesel tank contamination w/VO IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I am monitoring fuel pressure and fuel temperature at the manifold block. (I also have EGT, Boost and HPO pressure gauges)

Also been using a VO 'fuel stabilizer' for several months. I've never had any indication of polymerization anywhere in my system. In fact, to date the only thing I've ever changed on the road was a filter and the only difference in my system from install is replacing the fuel hose in my purge system w/telfon-lined SS braided hose w/SS JIC ends (read: expensive :shock: ).

Here's a crude drawing I did for someone the other day as I explained it to them. It is missing at least a couple 'details', but the flow diagram is accurate. The circle above the heads is the stock filter and fuel pressure regulator. (feel free to make me a nicer CAD drawing :lol :)
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Pics of SkySkiJason's PSD conversion

Postby SkySkiJason » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:41 pm

here's the FPR (purple/blue) next to purge solenoid valve and VO filter in background

Here you can see stock-type PSD pump and coolant wrap on filter. I recently changed that to an electric blanket. Also visible is HIH ends. I used 1/2" 'aircraft' aluminum tubing and 1" heater hose from VO tank to filter and standard 3/8" tube x 3/4" hose everywhere else.

Here's the manifold block. The big brass things on each 'end' are CV's. The top fittings are fuel pressure (copper sleeve over the tubing) and original mechanical temp sender (now using electric gauge/sender). The (2) 1/4" copper lines out the side go to the heads. I had the wrong size steel lines on 'conversion day' and stuck this in there 'temporarily'. The steel line has been sitting on top of toolbox since a few days later - patiently waiting to be installed....

Last edited by SkySkiJason on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Good job, I like it. It would be much easier to read your post without all the left/right scrolling if you would go and reduce that one pic to 800 pixels wide since its >2000 now and messes up the post.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 am

SunWizard wrote:Good job, I like it. It would be much easier to read your post without all the left/right scrolling if you would go and reduce that one pic to 800 pixels wide since its >2000 now and messes up the post.

Ok I made it smaller and previewed it. It was still big. Made it another size smaller, it was still big. Cookies? Should I make it 800 wide again when I get back to where the original is?
SkySkiJason

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 am

You need to reduce it on your computer and then upload to photobucket again. If you don't have software to reduce photo size let me know and I can reduce it and email it to you.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Freeman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:49 pm

SkySkiJason

If your still out there, I was hoping you would answer a few questions I have about your conversion. I am planning on converting my E-350 and you have a nice and easy to understand description in the converted vehicle database.

1. Does the Diesel side of your fuel system have a stock pressure regulator (set at 58 psi) or did you add one??

2. In your written description you mention ((IF)) you leave your diesel pump on it will switch over to diesel when the pressure drops below 58psi on the VO side. Does this mean you wire an on/off switch to your stock Diesel fuel pump??

3. Would you mind sharing where you purchased and part # or ratings (if you have them) of your Check Valves, Manifold Block, and fuel pressure regulator??

4. Here is my big question, how do you add return lines to the fuel rails?? is there an existing port I can open and tap into??

5. One more question, did you use a FPHE??

Thanks

Free
Freeman

Freeman's Q's answered...

Postby HoldOnTight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm

Freeman, I can answer most of your questions.

1. All Superduty trucks 99 and up (perhaps before 99 as well, not sure about that) have a fuel pressure regulator built into the stock fuel filter. You can see my posted conversion(99 F-250), which shows almost all the stock fuel filter's info. with the exception of the built-in heater. I started out with a CV system like Ski, but I changed it. If you go with a CV system for fuel control, use a ball type of check valve, which is superior in design, life and performance over the other types of CVs.

2. I don't know this detail, but it might be possible to burn out the stock diesel pump if the VO runs out and Ski doesn't notice his VO tank is empty. It is best to have only one pump running and controlled by one relay (normally closed feeding power to the diesel pump and normally open feeding power to the VO pump) Then, what happens is the engine would start to falter if the currently selected fuel supply runs out. The bad side is you don't have seamless switchover from one fuel to the other without skipping a beat. I had that when I first converted my truck and I really liked it since I didn't have a VO fuel level sender back then.
One more thing. the pump may not burn out simply because it is mounted below the tank level so there will always be some fuel to help keep the pump lubricated and cool enough.

3. Check valve and manifold block come from McMaster Carr. PM me and I'll sell you mine! :) I'm not using them any more. If you want to know, I've had my manifold disassembled on occasion and even after swtiching and driving on diesel for more than 10 miles with almost exactly the same setup, I was surprised to see the lower part of the manifold held VO which seemed to be heavier than the diesel.

4. Oh yea, there is a port that is on the opposite side of each head. You pull out the plug and insert your fitting. The size of the port is 1/8 in. NPT. :) Ski is right, purge is super fast, maybe less than 5 sec. I usually purge for more, 10-15 to be safe. 30 sec is way overkill. Oh yea, you let the engine run for about 30 sec. AFTER purging so the VO already in the injector path/finger feed line have a chance to burn off before shutting down.

Go for it!
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby Freeman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Hold on tight
Thank you for the information, I have been so busy and will be for the next month that I have little free time to continue my power stroke research. I will get back to you about buying your used parts. thanks agian

Sky Ski Jason
Thank you also for your reply, when I got the PM from you a few weeks ago I just skimed it over. When I have more time and resume my research I'm sure I will have a few more questions. I do have one that has been on my mind for a while now. If I get a fass fuel pump that is self regulating to 80 psi, would I still need a fuel pressure regulator? anyone??

Sam
Freeman

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database