heating 1000 gal used cooking oil tanks

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

heating 1000 gal used cooking oil tanks

Postby wilfischer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I have 3 poly 1000gal cone bottom tanks I use for settling used cooking oil I collect. My problem is that I can't let these tanks settle much longer then 48 hours till I need to pump out and the tanks are stored at room temp. I'm thinking of running Pex (plastic water line) in a coil type configuration through my 1000 gal cone bottom tanks. I want to run water via a hot water tank and circulation pump through this coil thus creating heat in my tanks to help with the settling process. I want to have it stay at a constant 100 degrees. What are your thoughts on this? I could use one hot water heater and have valves to cancel each tank as I need, Rarely will they ever all need to be running at once.

wilfischer

Re: heating 1000 gal used cooking oil tanks

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 am

The trick is that the heat needs to be applied slowly or it creates convection currents which prevent settling. In <24 hours (to allow 24 hours settling) you would have to apply a huge amount of heat to get 1000 gals up to 100F, like a large industrial water heater. You probably will get better settling by keeping it at room temp for the whole time, and it won't be much settling in that short time.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering