Fuel and Coolant Line Length

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Fuel and Coolant Line Length

Postby gregbruce » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

Hello all,

New to the forum. New to cars and wvo too :) I am a musician converting a '98 Ford E-350 Short Bus to be my camper and tour van. ATM there's no floor in 'er and I'm getting to the point where I need to start thinking about my WVO conversion system and my floor plan. I'm planning to go with a 2-tank system, using coolant (HIH or HOH...not sure) to heat the tank along with a heated filter (12V or coolant), fuel pump on the veg line, and FPHE in there somewhere. As I am planning to tour, I will not have a central location to store/filter my wvo, so everything will be on board.

There are two locations on the chassis where I can put the main fuel tank (one or two settling tanks will be above it in the bus). One is near the back by the double doors where the wheelchair lift was. The advantage to this location would be that we could box it in, cutting off my living space from potential mess, and be able to access everything from the outside. The disadvantage would be that we'd have to run that much more fuel line and coolant lines. Not only is this a cost/work issue, but I'm wondering if we'd have to worry about losing heat from both the coolant and veggie lines with an extra 6' to travel. Should I be worried about this? I don't want the extra distance to drain heat from my engine nor from my veggie fuel as I live in the most eastern point in Canada (North America, really) and not that I plan to do a lot of travel in the area in the winters, I want it to be an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Greg
gregbruce

Re: Fuel and Coolant Line Length

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

gregbruce wrote:I'm wondering if we'd have to worry about losing heat from both the coolant and veggie lines with an extra 6' to travel. Should I be worried about this?

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you insulate the hoses, the amount of loss will be small enough to be fine.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion