In this thread I shall gripe about the 7.3 L powerstroke

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

In this thread I shall gripe about the 7.3 L powerstroke

Postby jordanmills » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Well, the whole engine design. See, I'm trying to tap into the quick-disconnect fittings so I can minimize the changes made to the vehicle for my new two tank install.

There's a steel line that comes down from the fuel bowl, then has a QD connecting it to a flexible hose, and those have a QD connecting them to another steel line. I want to remove the flexible lines and put my lines in there instead, but they just won't come out.

I've used pb blaster, turned, pulled, and pushed - and used a QD tool - and they just won't come loose. They're the only thing holding up the complete installation of my new fuel system, and I'm a tad frustrated now!
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
2-tank custom/self-built SVO system
jordanmills

Postby hheynow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeah our trucks are a bit different but I tackled my steel supply line problem already. My problem was that the entire steel supply line starting from behind driver's door inside the frame rail up to the engine was not insulated and all my heating components were before the steel line including my vegtherm. I was sure I was losing heat. So since my FPHE is after my tank switch valve I connected J30R9 fuel injection hose to the hot fuel out port of the FPHE then fed the fuel line up driver's fender and it enters the engine bay near my brake booster. It then goes through my vegtherm, vegoil gauge sender tee, post filter then to the fuel pump. I slid a 5' length of 3/4" hose over my fuel hose from the FPHE forward. It does two things. It insulates the fuel (I don't have HIH or HOH) and creates a protective sleeve for the fuel line under the truck. With the relocation of the vegtherm and bypassing the steel supply line I gained 20*F of vegoil heat from 160*F to 180*F. I left the return steel line alone.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Re: In this thread I shall gripe about the 7.3 L powerstroke

Postby Welder » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:06 am

jordanmills wrote:Well, the whole engine design. See, I'm trying to tap into the quick-disconnect fittings so I can minimize the changes made to the vehicle for my new two tank install.

There's a steel line that comes down from the fuel bowl, then has a QD connecting it to a flexible hose, and those have a QD connecting them to another steel line. I want to remove the flexible lines and put my lines in there instead, but they just won't come out.

I've used pb blaster, turned, pulled, and pushed - and used a QD tool - and they just won't come loose. They're the only thing holding up the complete installation of my new fuel system, and I'm a tad frustrated now!

Hi Jordan.

By QD, do you mean quick disconnect?

Am you saying that even with a special tool, your quick disconnect fittings aren't coming off? If so, that's definately a bummer. I can't see any advantage to use a "quick disconnect" fitting if it won't come off. For them to even have a tool for the job, is a warning sign.

A simple 37 degree flared flange and compression nut would have been faster and easire..
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby FlyboyDVIII » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:33 am

jordanmills wrote:Well, the whole engine design. See, I'm trying to tap into the quick-disconnect fittings so I can minimize the changes made to the vehicle for my new two tank install.

Hi Jordan, why aren't you simply removing the rear plugs from the fuel rails in the heads ( Back of both heads) and pluming your hot veg into the rails there. Then you simply need a veg pump of over 55lbs to feed the veg to the motor. as long as the veg is fed at above the pressure of the diesel pump's setting it won't run and you will be fueled by veg. when you shut your veg pump off the dino fuel pump will automatically start to run as soon as the fuel pressure drops below 55 lbs. and you will have a very short purge you will just need to empty the rails. this is a simple motor to convert. why are you making it complicated. But please don't stop griping.
93, F250, 7.3, N/A, WVO since 5-06 over 147K so far, 2wd, ext cab, 100 gal. tank, DIY system. 10psi 23A FASS w/ ProComp regulator.

FilterFuge FF60 CF, over 22,300 gal. spun
FlyboyDVIII

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:55 am

Welder wrote:

Hi Jordan.

By QD, do you mean quick disconnect?

Am you saying that even with a special tool, your quick disconnect fittings aren't coming off? If so, that's definately a bummer. I can't see any advantage to use a "quick disconnect" fitting if it won't come off. For them to even have a tool for the job, is a warning sign.

A simple 37 degree flared flange and compression nut would have been faster and easire..

Yep, that's exactly what i'm saying.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby elvia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:57 am

Like flyboy said, except that the diesel is feed into the drivers side front and the passenger side rear. ARE you ?Sure that they are disconnect. They could be a 2 part fitting. the first part is screwed into the head and the second part is a type of ferrel fitting that screws onto it. (there is a rubber gasket on it). That is the way the stock fuel lines are attached. This is how the vegistroke system works. The heads of the 7.3 are interchangable. they can go on the left or right. So they have plugs on the unused ports. I recently installed my vegistroke system, Thats how I know about the fittings.
Elvia
2000 F350 XL Utility Bed. Vegistroke V3
Nolatraveler.com
elvia

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 am

FlyboyDVIII wrote:

Hi Jordan, why aren't you simply removing the rear plugs from the fuel rails in the heads ( Back of both heads) and pluming your hot veg into the rails there. Then you simply need a veg pump of over 55lbs to feed the veg to the motor. as long as the veg is fed at above the pressure of the diesel pump's setting it won't run and you will be fueled by veg. when you shut your veg pump off the dino fuel pump will automatically start to run as soon as the fuel pressure drops below 55 lbs. and you will have a very short purge you will just need to empty the rails. this is a simple motor to convert. why are you making it complicated. But please don't stop griping.
Because a, that's a lot of work, and b, I don't have a pump that pushes that muchc pressure.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 am

elvia wrote:Like flyboy said, except that the diesel is feed into the drivers side front and the passenger side rear. ARE you ?Sure that they are disconnect. They could be a 2 part fitting. the first part is screwed into the head and the second part is a type of ferrel fitting that screws onto it. (there is a rubber gasket on it). That is the way the stock fuel lines are attached. This is how the vegistroke system works. The heads of the 7.3 are interchangable. they can go on the left or right. So they have plugs on the unused ports. I recently installed my vegistroke system, Thats how I know about the fittings.

The QDs are not on the heads.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby elvia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:06 am

I realize that, I was just saying that they might be the same type of fitting.
Elvia
2000 F350 XL Utility Bed. Vegistroke V3
Nolatraveler.com
elvia

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:27 am

Nope, completely different, but good idea.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:31 pm

[/quote]Because a, that's a lot of work, and b, I don't have a pump that pushes that muchc pressure.[/quote]

Here ya REALLY, REALLY lost me! :?

There are no 'quick disconnects' after the filter - steel lines, one to each head. The only qd. fittings I'm aware of are transition from rubber to steel after fuel tank and before/after pump. A "Fuel Line" disconnect tool is almost mandatory. It is different from A/C tool...

Before I ask what pump yer using that doesn't make enough pressure to satisfy the needs of your engine, I need to know more about your proposed design?

As for 'just using the rear/test ports' to supply VO, that is fine - BUT you must include checkvalves on the diesel supply to prevent cross-contamination. Yes, yes, there are factory cv's at the heads, but they WILL NOT prevent VO from overflowing your diesel tank!

A better design may be 'splicing' into the stock lines after the fuel bowl. This way, you can add CV's to each fuel and retain almost all of your factory fuel plumbing. I guess you could even save the parts of line you remove, if you wanted to put it back to 'stock'. It is standard 1/4" tubing and compression couplers work just fine. Here's a pic of my splice. It is under AIH/glow plug solenoids.

Here is connection to manifold block. Yes, those lines are copper. :shock: I had the wrong stuff on 'conversion day' and this was right there asking me to put my truck back on the road. The steel lines to replace them are sitting on my toolbox (have been for 1.5yrs now :roll: )

Also, I have replaced the green Weatherhead 250psi diesel hose (did not hold up well - no failures, but looked scary at inspection) with teflon-lined braided SS hose w/SS JIC ends...
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:53 pm

SkySkiJason wrote:
Because a, that's a lot of work, and b, I don't have a pump that pushes that muchc pressure.[/quote]

Here ya REALLY, REALLY lost me! :?

There are no 'quick disconnects' after the filter [/quote]
Yes, but there are plenty before. I'm trying to open the two that connect to the steel lines that feed the fuel bowl.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 pm

As for fuel line tools, I have a set I got from oreilly auto parts. They're blue (3/8") and yellow (5/16") plastic sold as fuel/AC disconnect tools. Are you saying I need something else?
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Yep. There is a metal 'fuel line' disconnect tool. It might work better for you.

Alot of PSD owners just cut the qd off and slide hose directly on the steel lines. They do this pre-pump because the qd fittings apparently leak air under vacuum.
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Postby jordanmills » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Okay I got it. I had to get a vise grips and yank real hard on the fitting. I probably bent it a lot. Oh well, I was pissed off.

I'm removing the QD fittings and clamping hose (injected fuel system rated hose, no cheaping out here) to the steel lines. It hasn't gone wrong for me yet.
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
jordanmills

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion