Converting my 93 Dodge 12v

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Converting my 93 Dodge 12v

Postby raccoonreg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Hello all,

Been looking around on the site for information but have a few questions I cant find answers for..

First of all i cannot decide if I can use a factory lift pump or if I must use an electric pump for wvo.
I know the later model 12v piston lift pump is much better for wvo and if its better more reliable route Im ready swap it out.
Now if I do swap it out I know there are high and low pressure versions of the piston pump Im wondering if the high pressure would be better unless it could blow the seals out of my VE pump
Iv read problems with peoples conversions with peoples fuel pressure dropping once switched to wvo, I'm trying to avoid that problem..
The main reason Im trying to avoid the electric fuel pump is I need reliability and I hate electronics to some degree hence mechanical. On the other had if a failure accrued I would not have the option of switching back to a some what fully stock system.. big problem this is my serious daily driver and I have a good commute to work!!

Im still collecting parts for my conversion but i have a Vormax800 filter and water separator I got a great deal on. I would like to mount the unit under my box on the frame rail nice and out of the way. The only problem I see if that the lift pump is going to have to suck the wvo though the filter rather than push it if it where located in front of the lift pump. Is this a huge problem. My tank is going to have a hotfox in it btw.

Other than that my setup its going to consist of..
a 3 valve closed loop setup
Hotfox in the tank
Vormax filter
fphe under the hood

I also have 2 12v vegtherm inline heaters i got with the filter I could throw in to warm things up

hope my gabber make seance to you all!!
thanks
raccoonreg

Re: Converting my 93 Dodge 12v

Postby SunWizard » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
raccoonreg wrote:First of all i cannot decide if I can use a factory lift pump or if I must use an electric pump for wvo.

Factory is OK on that truck.
I know the later model 12v piston lift pump is much better for wvo and if its better more reliable route Im ready swap it out.

Yes its much better.
Now if I do swap it out I know there are high and low pressure versions of the piston pump Im wondering if the high pressure would be better unless it could blow the seals out of my VE pump

I think the low pressure is the one for that year.
Im still collecting parts for my conversion but i have a Vormax800 filter and water separator I got a great deal on. I would like to mount the unit under my box on the frame rail nice and out of the way. The only problem I see if that the lift pump is going to have to suck the wvo though the filter rather than push it if it where located in front of the lift pump. Is this a huge problem.

No problem, you could get air leaks on the part under vacuum, so take extra care on connections. Note that the water spearator doesn't work on WVO so you still need to dewater first.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion