Will diluting the Solid Fat in WVO with Dyno liquify it

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Will diluting the Solid Fat in WVO with Dyno liquify it

Postby 777funk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

If I add a petroleum product to the solid fat stuff I get from the restaurants will it liquify it?

Related, can a good electric fuel pump (say powerstroke diesel), suck the fatty stuff up? why or why not.
777funk

Re: Will diluting the Solid Fat in WVO with Dyno liquify it

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

777funk wrote:If I add a petroleum product to the solid fat stuff I get from the restaurants will it liquify it?

Not much, it may still clog a filter which is the main problem with it. The answer depends on how cold it is, how solid it is, and how much diesel you add. Heating is a much simpler and cheaper way to liquify it. The only way to tell is try it with your WVO at your temps.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Will diluting the Solid Fat in WVO with Dyno liquify it

Postby 777funk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 am

SunWizard wrote:
777funk wrote:If I add a petroleum product to the solid fat stuff I get from the restaurants will it liquify it?

Not much, it may still clog a filter which is the main problem with it. The answer depends on how cold it is, how solid it is, and how much diesel you add. Heating is a much simpler and cheaper way to liquify it. The only way to tell is try it with your WVO at your temps.

I did an experiment and heated the oil to 120F last night and added about 1/8 Premium (without ethanol) Gasoline I had sitting around from mowing season and when it cooled it's as liquid as any other veg. This was stuff that was solid (had to scoop it out) before the gas. So maybe this is a solution to the problem. I'm guessing this was hamburger grease (Mexican restaurant).
777funk

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering