Not possible to heat every last inch of fuel line. Big deal?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Not possible to heat every last inch of fuel line. Big deal?

Postby 777funk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I got a little frustrated with this last conversion. I'd say 75% of the line travel is heated but there are segments where the line had to pass through areas where I couldn't have both the coolant line AND the fuel line in the same place. For example:
1. fuel line had to go through a small passage to get to the heads on my Powerstroke Van (tight quarters in a van). The steel fuel line made it but the coolant didn't have room.
2. The electric fuel pump
3. The regulator
4. The solenoid valve
5. The filter is in a hot place but when I touch the filter head, I'd bet it's no warmer than 120F

So although much of the line is heated, there are places that it's just not possible.

I'd say no big deal but with the SLOW speed of fuel flow in a non return system (fuel send only, no return from engine), there are going to be places where the oil will be sitting unheated for I'd guess enough time for it to cool. One thing we don't think of is exactly how slow the fuel is burned.

Is this as much of a problem as I could imagine it to be?
777funk

Re: Not possible to heat every last inch of fuel line. Big d

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 pm

It depends on how long the unheated sections are, and how exposed they are, and how cold you want to run. I have sections of 2' rubber hose without heat very exposed around my switching valves and have been fine down to -10F. The WVO is heated very hot in the TiH section before and FPHE after that which helps. On mine a hot section can melt a cold frozen section of a few feet by the time I switchover. Insulating those unheated sections would help.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby merk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 am

my lines after the FPHE are not heated either....in fact they aren't insulated either.... :o
Merk
03 TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat excahnger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, two 3 port fuel valves
merk

Postby soshea00 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 am

777Funk, Wondering if you have any photos of your Powerstroke van conversion or can recommend a good resource or any advice. I just got one and have plans to convert it, but as you said its very tight quarters and I've never done a Powerstroke
soshea00

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion