Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby leapingbuddha » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 pm

My first question. I have 2 6.2 1983 chevy suburban diesels. I spend 6 months in BAJA Calif. I have access to an American style deli and they have as a waste oil soy, partially hydrogenated soy oil. I have filtered app. 10 gals. through t-shirt material and then into a 5 micron bag filter and then into my truck. Running a 50/50 mix at most. We live on solar here in Baja so it is difficult to heat the oil to get rid of any water, with an electric heating element. I did a small sampling of the filtered oil heated in a pan on the stove and had a small amount of spattering, not much. Do I have to be completely water free and how can I get rid of this water, if I need to. Will I do any damage to the pump with this system. The temp here usually about 65 this time of the year and this oil pours good. Thanks for the site. leapingbuddha
leapingbuddha

Re: Newbie

Postby SunWizard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Any amount of spitting is WAY too much water and yes it will do damage. For dewatering methods, and water testing methods, see the collecting, filtering section here. For your location a simple heat and settle may be best, put it in a black, filled, sealed container in the sun to heat it up, leave it settle for a month. Then only use from the top down, or drain off the bottom few inches which is where the water and fat and particles will settle.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending