Setting up 65gph centrifuge. Pump too strong?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Setting up 65gph centrifuge. Pump too strong?

Postby whisker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 pm

So folks, I'm stumped.

Trying to set up one of the centrifuge systems with a 65gph centrifuge from PABIODiesel. I had it all set up, and working, but the pump I got from a surplus hardware store was leaking so I took it back for a replacement. The one I got is a hydraulic gear pump... it was all they had, and it was cheap. Crazy thing is, once I try and run the darn thing, the motor starts smoking. It's a 1/3 hp motor coupled to the shaft of the hydraulic pump. I'm using the shaft to shaft couplings, and have it as straight on as possible. The oil was at 140 degrees and still wouldn't move up the shaft without the motor stumbling and smoking. Oddly, If I bypass the fitting traveling up the drum to the centrifuge and use my filling hose to drain the barrel, it moves the oil just fine into cubbies... Seriously, this may be a 10 gallon/minute pump.

So I'm wondering, is my pump just too strong? Is my motor crap? I have a bypass valve (coupled into a T and set at 100psi), but it isn't being actuated.

I'm wondering if the fitting I have at the bottom of my barrel (3/4" heater hose" to the side of the pump inlet (1/2 pipe) is too big, and the pump is trying to do move too much then overloading the motor? I don't know. Cant figure it out..
whisker

Re: Setting up 65gph centrifuge. Pump too strong?

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 pm

whisker wrote:Seriously, this may be a 10 gallon/minute pump.

That right there is the problem. You need to know the flow rate and pressure the pump puts out versus RPM. If its more than 1gpm @ 90 psi, you have to bypass the excess flow and it takes a bigger motor to push all that extra WVO that is bypassing the CF. Any good pump will have a table or chart available showing much power or HP it needs to run at various flows & pressures.

If its like a log splitter hydraulic pump, most need about 1.5 hp electric motor to run it and they can put out 2000 psi so watch out or you blow hoses and the CF.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby whisker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks,
Do you think there is any way to salvage the situation so I don't have to find and buy more stuff? I've tried the bypass, and yeah it seems like I need a bigger motor to push all the extra oil back into the barrel. I'm wondering about pulley sizes, like a small wheel on the motor, large on the pump? Theoretically, reducing flow of the pump, right, and potentially easing up the motor's work?
whisker

Postby SunWizard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 am

whisker wrote:I'm wondering about pulley sizes, like a small wheel on the motor, large on the pump?

Yes that would reduce the flow, but if its 10gpm you might have a hard time reducing it enough for that small motor. There is also some loss in the belt and pulleys that means you need a larger motor than if it was direct coupled. You have to find and buy pulleys and belt, and you still probably will need a bigger motor for that large of a pump.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering