WVO Centrifuge/Pump Question

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO Centrifuge/Pump Question

Postby A Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Hello Everyone!

First time poster and recent WVO conversionist lol. I have read all I can find on here and about 20 other websites for days on end about building a WVO/WMO centrifuge but I still have some questions. I have a 3/8NPT Teel pump rated for 3.8GPM at 100PSI. The information I have says it needs 1/2HP but it is currently mounted on a 1/3HP motor.

1)Will this work with the 1/3HP motor or does it actually require a 1/2HP? If so, why?
2)What would happen if it was used with a 1/3HP? And again, why?

Both motors turn 1725RPM. I'm looking to feed a 120GPH PABiodiesel centrifuge since this one has a top rotor nozzle design and will not drop contaminants when shut down. I've asked PABio via eBay and they say the 1/3HP will still generate a 3GPM flow but only at 40psi but did not say how they calculated it, stating it was from experience. Any insight as to the particular details would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Adrian
A Man

Re: WVO Centrifuge/Pump Question

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm

A Man wrote: I have a 3/8NPT Teel pump rated for 3.8GPM at 100PSI. The information I have says it needs 1/2HP but it is currently mounted on a 1/3HP motor.

Your information looks wrong for 3 gpm at 100 psi, I have never seen any pump do that with 1/2 HP. You might get 2 gpm at 100 but that may be on the high end for 1/2 HP and depends on the quality of the motor for long running time without overheating.
1)Will this work with the 1/3HP motor or does it actually require a 1/2HP? If so, why?

It would work and generate a lower pressure, probably around 40 psi. Every pump has a curve of pressure versus flow and the HP required for each, here is an example for mine ( its smaller than yours, and bigger needs more HP):
http://www.oberdorfer-pumps.com/Spec_sh ... pdated.pdf
2)What would happen if it was used with a 1/3HP? And again, why?

The motor would stall or overheat once you got up to 100 psi.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby A Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm

The actual pump is a 2P384 which is discontinued. Grainger shows a comparable pump 4KHP9 here:
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/?R ... refTab=alt

It says 3 GPM at 100psi and 1/2HP. I can't find a flow chart for the Teel/Dayton pumps like you have for the Oberdorfer. Closest I could find is this application guide: http://www.grainger.com/images/dayton_rgp.pdf

Page 6 also shows a 3/8 pump model 6PA25 also rated 3GPM @ 100psi; it's discontinued as well but the replacement is the same 4KHP9 I mentioned above. These are all Carbonator pumps, whatever the heck that means. I think it has to do with the mounting/coupling design.

Based on the flow ratings on Grainger, my actual pump, as well as the new 4KHP9 should move 3GPM @ 100psi as long as I'm using a 1/2HP motor. Would you agree this is correct?

However, looking at page 9, a 3/8 pedestal mount pump 6NY57 moves 4.1GPM @ 125psi but requires a whopping 1 HP motor. The current Grainger model is 4KHF3.

So different models have different flow and HP requirements even with the same size ports. I'm assuming this is due to different pump gear designs.
Last edited by A Man on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Man

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm

The specs say 1/2 HP at free flow (0 psi), that is different than what it would need for 100 psi. At 100 psi max, that pump will not work very well since its not good to run near max. all the time. Those specs are so limited they are not much help, in that case its trial and error while slowly increasing the pressure.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby A Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm

SunWizard wrote:The specs say 1/2 HP at free flow (0 psi), that is different than what it would need for 100 psi. At 100 psi max, that pump will not work very well since its not good to run near max. all the time. Those specs are so limited they are not much help, in that case its trial and error while slowly increasing the pressure.

Expand the Technical Specification section and you will see the HP and flow ratings for various pressures. However, with the 4KHP9, the HP requirements stay the same as pressure increases. For the 4KHF3, the HP requirements increase as pressure does.
A Man

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering