Is it really that easy!?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Is it really that easy!?

Postby coupe68 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Ok, so I found local diesel truck with low miles for a good price that I am thinking of purchasing. I always had veggie oil in the back of my mind, but I think I may finally give it a go. The truck is a 1990 f250, and because it has the stock dual fuel tanks this seems to be one of the easiest trucks to convert. I watched this video on Youtube and was dumbfounded on how easy and cheap it looked! The guy only spent $100 on a heat exchanger, and some fuel line/hose clamps. I really do not want to do the conversion if I have to spend hundreds on parts and days working on it. I am posting the link below...my question for you guys is, is this really all I have to do to run a ford with dual tanks on WVO?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkagVSdjNQ
coupe68

Re: Is it really that easy!?

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 pm

coupe68 wrote:Ok, so I found local diesel truck with low miles for a good price that I am thinking of purchasing. I always had veggie oil in the back of my mind, but I think I may finally give it a go. The truck is a 1990 f250, and because it has the stock dual fuel tanks this seems to be one of the easiest trucks to convert. I watched this video on Youtube and was dumbfounded on how easy and cheap it looked! The guy only spent $100 on a heat exchanger, and some fuel line/hose clamps. I really do not want to do the conversion if I have to spend hundreds on parts and days working on it. I am posting the link below...my question for you guys is, is this really all I have to do to run a ford with dual tanks on WVO?

Yes it will run on WVO even without a FPHE. The question is how long will it run, and how cold it works. Much depends on your climate, and you didn't say where you are. A little more money and time up front can save much more money and time, and avoid being stranded on the roadside in the future due to a plugged filter or snapped IP. The stanadyne IP in that truck is known as weak and they last about 70k miles even on diesel. If spending 2 days on your conversion is too much work, then WVO may not be for you since there will be many days of work collecting, filtering and dewatering. Read up on that section of the forum to see what I mean.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coupe68 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I am from Delaware. Yes, I know that it is a lot of work collecting and filtering the WVO...I am prepared for that. The only thing is, I am not very mechanically inclined but this video made me feel like I might be able to do this myself. Thanks for the input!
coupe68

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 pm

In that climate its worth doing more heating than just a FPHE, or else you won't be able to run WVO when it gets below around 20-40F depending on your WVO. It could plug your filter quickly when cold.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ