Simple Manual 2 Tank Conversion 83 300D

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Simple Manual 2 Tank Conversion 83 300D

Postby dlarson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I am building a simple 2 tank conversion using a small 8 Gal SS tank, a 3 port hand valve, & a FPHE. Here is the idea... single line from WVO tank to one port on valve, diesel to the other. Then into pre-filter before FPHE. Output from FPHE on into factory Benz fuel filter - no modifications.

I need ideas for return...

Should I put another 3 port to switch between diesel and WVO return, or just a ball valve to shut off the return completely before the cigar hose when running on veg opening it for diesel? To clarify: I want to loop veggie and un-loop for purge/diesel. My main question is can I loop the return out of the factory filter (the one that goes to cigar hose) back into the line coming in from the VEG tank with a tee, and then send it to the diesel tank with a 3 port switchover for purge and to run on diesel? I want to keep this SIMPLE without complicated changes to the stock system. This will be for South Florida weather only. I can Email photos of my set up....
dlarson

Re: Simple Manual 2 Tank Conversion 83 300D

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

You can't block off the return, it needs to go to the right place. Note there are 2 return lines, one from the injector pump, another from the injectors, which need connected together and switched. And the banjo bolt on the top of the stock filter needs blocked off where the injector return enters.

Here is a simple diagram of how I converted my 300D and cummins:
You can simplify it a little by not using the filter valve and the WVO filter. But its better to use a seperate filter or else you can get struck on the side of the road if your small stock filter gets plugged, which can happen even at warm temps if you get some WVO with PHO or fat in it which is common. And every purge takes longer since you have to push the WVO out of the filter and FPHE instead of just the lines.

Best to have the FPHE just before the IP or else it takes longer to get the hot WVO to the IP after switchover since you have to burn all the fuel in the filter and heat the filter before the hot WVO gets to the IP.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 pm

SunWizard wrote:You can't block off the return, it needs to go to the right place. Understood about not just blocking off, but when you say go to the right place do you mean the return coming out of the filter that normally goes to the cigar going to the cigar for purge/diesel and on the "loop" port of the return valve back into the veggie feed? To clarify it will only loop on veg with the 3 port manual valve

Note there are 2 return lines, one from the injector pump, another from the injectors, which need connected together and switched. And the banjo bolt on the top of the stock filter needs blocked off where the injector return enters.
Does blocking off mean the solid bolt?

You can simplify it a little by not using the filter valve and the WVO filter. But its better to use a seperate filter or else you can get struck on the side of the road if your small stock filter gets plugged, which can happen even at warm temps if you get some WVO with PHO or fat in it which is common. And every purge takes longer since you have to push the WVO out of the filter and FPHE instead of just the lines.Will the stock filter get plugged if I use virgin soy SVO instead of farry WVO?

Best to have the FPHE just before the IP or else it takes longer to get the hot WVO to the IP after switchover since you have to burn all the fuel in the filter and heat the filter before the hot WVO gets to the IP.
I will move the FP to the IP input

I am on a budget and want to keep it as simple as possible. In your diagram I don't see the stock filter with all the return lines. Is that b/c it is for a truck (non Merc)
dlarson

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 pm

The stock filter is labeled "Fuel filter". The return line is blocked on top of it as shown and described.

The return lines come off the IP and the injectors and go to a 3 way as shown, instead of going to the top of the filter as stock.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 am

OK, It makes sense to me now. So can I leave the lines from the IP & Injectors into the banjo and just use the solid bolt to block off the fuel filter from the banjo? Then run the normal return outlet from the banjo into the 3 way that toggles between diesel return and veggie feed line (for loop)?
dlarson

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Whatever way you like to get it to flow as in the diagram. I didn't keep the banjo.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks - solved!
dlarson

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion