low rough idle on hot WVO and cold start-up?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

low rough idle on hot WVO and cold start-up?

Postby Mr. Janes » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 am

Hi, first post on the site. I'm running a 93 dodge cummins. Just took the kit out of my 91 and "improved it" to overcome previous limitations-. But, the new trucks not running too smooth . Rough idle at start-up (on diesel) and really low rough idle on WVO (when hot and well pressurized) Seems to be happy on WVO at higher RPM. I turned up the low idle screw yesterday and its not making much of a difference on either count as of this morning. My laundry list of possible villian's is 1) KSB function (but its too warm out (70 deg F) to test its function right now. 2) Internal I.P. settings (fuel screw or power screw? I hesitant to start tampering with it). 3) Injector clogging/wear.

Any help out there from folks with similar experience? I know my 91 never hesitated on properly prepped WVO and this has me baffled.

thanks! peter
Mr. Janes

Re: low rough idle on hot WVO and cold start-up?

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:47 pm

You should be able to turn the idle screw up to get any speed you like.

Was it idling rough before you did the conversion? Air leaks are the most common problem and could cause a rough idle. Worn injectors or IP is the next most likely.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Janes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:34 pm

It was idling rough before the conversion at cold start-up. It has a relatively new I.P so my guess is that it wouldn't be so much defective as in need of adjustment. Do you, sunwizard, have any experience adjusting the bosch ve for SVO? Pretty damn confident theres no air coming into the fuel lines but of course i'll double check. that just leaves the injectors. They're probably stock at 180 Kms. perhaps i can pull the injectors out of my dead 91' to replace them. ...
Mr. Janes

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Mr. Janes wrote:Do you, sunwizard, have any experience adjusting the bosch ve for SVO?

No. Mine is a different IP and its needed nothing except a little turn up on the idle speed, done once when I first got it 7 years ago.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby beeline » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm

if IP, I heard it's pretty easy to switch to P-7100 pump, which is better suited for oil.

do you have a heavy trailer or something you can hook onto to give the injectors a good 'blow through' on a big hill with WOT?
1996 dodge diesel, 2 tank heated WVO conversion
beeline

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion