wvo powered pre-heater system

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby Welder » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:06 am

Actually, I still like Burbs quick release boiler-as-cargo idea.

A couple of cam-locks and you're pushing hot coolant throughout your engine.

No serious NHTSA issues to answer to; it's all cargo once the cam-locks are off. (it's either strapped down securely, or it isn't)

My question is whether it would be better to go with simple drip-fed burning (wwww.backyardmetalcasting.com) or with a Babbington type design, or a pressure injection unit?

In keeping with the K.I.S.S. principle, a drip-fed burner would be best, but other designs may be more efficient.

One of the claims of a prominent waste oil burner is that their injector nozzles have some sort of internal pin that slides forward sealing the injector spray nozzle from leakage/carbonization. In comparing simple drip-fed burners with spray types, I'm not sure whether it's better to stick with the drip style designs, or aim towards a spray type unit.

The drip fed units are likely far simpler to build, but the spray types are likely more efficient. Don't ask me why I think that, I just do. Maybe it has something to do with the drip fed units needing a pre-heat for the metallic thermal evaporators (often a pile of stove bolts) to function properly.

Even if the spray style burners aren't actually more efficient in terms of their actual combustion characteristics, they are likely more easilly controlled as combustion can be started and stopped cyclically based on thermostst input, but the drip fed units wouldn't likely have that capacity.
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion