Starting conversion--Questions

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Starting conversion--Questions

Postby Bear Pen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm

I've been burning WVO in a 92 Dodge for about six years--50 gal tank behind cab, heated racor 1000 on tank, three solenoid valves, 3/8 aluminum fuel line in 1"PEX line. What I DID NOT have was a FPHE to heat the grease just before the IP, and I think I coked the engine from using grease that was under 160 degrees.
I just bought a 98 12-valve Dodge and I'm about to convert it to WVO, with much the same system as my '92, except that I'm going to add an FPHE. Man, they didn't giver a feller much room to work on this newer truck! My valves, and the FPHE will be mounted on a plate on top of the valve covers.
My question is about tapping into the heater line for my hot water. What about doing away with the hard line altogether and go straight from the short 90 degree rubber line to the FPHE, which is right there close by? Then I would run the return H2O from the tank to the heater inlet. Hopefully there would still be some heat left for the cab.
One more thing (so far).....how do you post photos on this site? I'd like to show you guys my filter heater--it's the best!!

Old Hippie Homesteader in N. Arkansas
Off-grid (solar) for 40 years
1985 MB 300D
1998 Dodge Cummins
Off-Grid for 40 years
Solar powered home and shop
''85 MB 300D
'98 2WD Dodge Cummins w/ homebuilt 2-tank system
Belarus 240AN tractor--Diesel
Kubota 4400 diesel tractor
'39 Allis Chalmers "B" tractor gasburner
Bear Pen

Re: Starting conversion--Questions

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. You have almost the same vehicles as me!

Yes you could go to the FPHE before the cab heat but the cab might not get much heat. I have a 3 way valve and can split the flow however I like to decide how much goes to the cab and how much to the FPHE. I like this set to about 50%/50% since then the stock cab heat control knob then works to give you some further adjustment of the where heat splits to while driving. That valve also makes an easy way to stop heat to the whole WVO side incase you need or want to run diesel through that tank, or are just out of WVO for a while. You could see pics of that in my thread here in the coverted vehicles section.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bear Pen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks Sunwizard--What about posting photos? I'd like to show my method for heating a Racor filter.
Off-Grid for 40 years
''85 MB 300D
Bear Pen

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 am

Bear Pen wrote:Thanks Sunwizard--What about posting photos? I'd like to show my method for heating a Racor filter.

When posting, hit the upload attachment tab below the submit button, then choose your photo and hit upload, then hit the Place inline button to put it in the middle of the post.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bear Pen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm into the conversion now. There's sure not much room to work down there! I took out the brake reservoir assembly and the fuel filter. I'm mounting three solenoid valves and the FPHE on a plate that is bolted on in place of the big Cummins plate on top of the valve covers.
I was looking at the FPHE I bought on e'bay and the label says "good to 150 degrees". Is this normal for those things, or is it going to melt down when it gets to 190?
The only problem I see with my conversion is that the Racor filter is mounted back at the WVO tank. Any crud in the lines will make it to the IP/injectors. I wonder if there is a small in-line filter that I could put up front for a while, until the lines and valves are cleaned out?
When I get a little farther along I'll post some pictures of my project.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. When I tried to take out the IP return banjo bolt it wouldn't quite make it out, so I took off the little bolt that is on top of the banjo bolt to make more room. Needless to say a little spring flew out and freaking DISAPPEARED! Dodge wante $202 for the relief valve (that's what it is). A friend is sending a used one. :oops:
Off-Grid for 40 years
''85 MB 300D
Bear Pen

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Bear Pen wrote: I was looking at the FPHE I bought on e'bay and the label says "good to 150 degrees". Is this normal for those things, or is it going to melt down when it gets to 190?

Maybe that is 150 C? It makes no sense if its 150F and I've never heard of that.
The only problem I see with my conversion is that the Racor filter is mounted back at the WVO tank. Any crud in the lines will make it to the IP/injectors. I wonder if there is a small in-line filter that I could put up front for a while, until the lines and valves are cleaned out?

Yes any autoparts store will have multiple choices.
Oh, yeah, one more thing. When I tried to take out the IP return banjo bolt it wouldn't quite make it out, so I took off the little bolt that is on top of the banjo bolt to make more room. Needless to say a little spring flew out and freaking DISAPPEARED! Dodge wante $202 for the relief valve (that's what it is). A friend is sending a used one. :oops:

That little spring controls the setting of the fuel PSI inside the IP, and they do wear out and need replaced every 150K miles or so if you want pressure to meet specs. It may be just the spring that wears out, which would be much cheaper than the whole unit but I haven't seen them for sale. Good luck!
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bear Pen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 am

Yes any autoparts store will have multiple choices.[quote]

Yeah Sunwizard, but isn't there a problem with heat on most inline filters? Seems like there was a lot of discussion about that.
Off-Grid for 40 years
''85 MB 300D
Bear Pen

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:55 am

Bear Pen wrote:Yeah Sunwizard, but isn't there a problem with heat on most inline filters? Seems like there was a lot of discussion about that.

I don't recall those posts. I have used the cheap plastic ones and heat hasn't been a problem. You can get metal ones too, but they often have some plastic inside.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 pm

I wonder if there is a small in-line filter that I could put up front for a while, until the lines and valves are cleaned out?

NAPA 3972, WIX 33972
John Galt

Postby vegnomad » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 am

Bear Pen, were you ever able to get your photos to upload? I would like to see how you fit everything into the 98, I'm working on my system now.
Thanks!
'98 Dodge 2500 12v cummins - in process of WVO conversion
2003 Jetta TDI - future conversion planned
vegnomad

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database