Polite or impolite ?

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Polite or impolite ?

Postby BMW Fan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:02 pm

The forum is growing fast.
A lot of people know each other by their ( real ) names.
But lately it seems common practice not to give the smallest hint about the person behind their fantasy names.
I understand that people change their name for a certain reason.
But it would be so much nicer to know a "little" about the person behind.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby coachgeo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:16 am

Good points.

Myself would like to see a "WHO AM I" fourm. Or a "MEMEBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF" forum. Helps to know a little background on folk.

At same time I understand Sun's desire to keep it SSS (short sweet & simple)
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

I think the profile is the best place for that type of info, and then its readable by anyone directly from any post. Much better than having a forum section for it. Fill out your profiles, people.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Welder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:01 pm

While I agree that it's nice to know each other a little, it's also nice to maintain a safe margin of privacy. For example, over on infopop, I've got into some pretty hot discussions with some guys who had pretty strong feelings about political topics.

Having strong opinions about stuff aint too scary, but sometimes nutbars lurk on forums. Who knows if people like Mohammed Atta, Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh or Dennis Rader were forum members of mainstream forums.

I have read some pretty extreme right wing posts and some pretty left wing posts on infopop. I see no reason to assume that any stranger on the end of a wire is safely sane.

I've had dissagreements with Klaus and Dana, but neither of them is like Theodore Kaczynski (the Unibomber). They are both well known public personalities in the veggie community.

It's one thing to share a first name and a profession with the public, but I draw the line with deeper details like surnames and addresses.

If I sound paranoid, consider how many pedophiles stalk minors over juvenile chat rooms. We aren't minors, but that's not my point. People meet people via forums. I was invited over to a bio brewers home to watch his process. I'm glad for the tutorial, but he took a risk. I could have been anybody.

Now I'm not trying to sound like an over imaginative alarmist, as I've never heard anything in the media about any stalker using a biofuels forum for their stalking, but all I'm saying is that maybe revealing more personal details might be better done progressively.

I just bought a FPHE from Klaus. He knows my name and address. I have no problem with that because he's a known identity on the forums and I've been reading his posts for a long time. I wouldn't give that info out to some new guy who's only been a member for a few months.

Of course, the other point is that nobody is too likely to get dangerously offended over a biofuels technical dissagreement, but an OT political thread can get pretty hairy. On infopop, I opely spoke out against Jihadism on political threads. Would I be smart to give out my personal info to some newbie named Mustafa Ali after dissing Islam?
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Great now you said the "I" word, the "J" word and the "BOM" word in the same post and probably got the NSA and agencies we don't even know about who monitors all internet posts for that combination after you. :(
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:18 pm

"So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go fµck myself
You know you just can't win "

Pink Floyd
John Galt

Postby BMW Fan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I put up this post just to trigger people to be a little more informative about their aims and personal experiences.
I had no idea or intention to ask all people for their real names and / or address.
Hosting a "Get together on Veggie" in Nova Scotia for several years I had
to give out my address and never had a problem with that.
If anybody buys something from me his address is absolutely safe and will be used just for the purpose to deliver the parts.
I do not even understand why Jeff mentions that.
I did in no way expect a semi political debate.
So, Sun, or Coach, if you want, delete my post.

Klaus
BMW Fan

Postby Welder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:11 pm

SunWizard wrote:Great now you said the "I" word, the "J" word and the "BOM" word in the same post and probably got the NSA and agencies we don't even know about who monitors all internet posts for that combination after you. :(

I'm not worried. I'm a law abiding Canadian citizen and a Patriot of this entire continent.

Although Canadas' military might is puny compared to our American neighbours, we are each others main military allies. Of course, I mean that from a defensive standpoint, not an offensive standpoint since either Great Britain or Germany could offer USA more assistance than Canada could on foreign battlefields.

The best defense is proper peaceful diplomacy backed by decisive offense if peace is rejected, but during the Cold war, all mutual assured destruction scenarios aside, there was a concern the the Soviets would try to come north over the north pole and attack USA after pushing down through Canada. We were the buffer zone in that scenario and trained for it hard. Of course, Uncle Sam wouldn't just let the Soviets simply drive up and over, they'd come north into Canada to help us dig in to stop the invasion.

I don't think I've gained any enemies in American intelligence circles for openly speaking out against Jihadism. I'm on OUR side.

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby Welder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 pm

BMW Fan wrote:I put up this post just to trigger people to be a little more informative about their aims and personal experiences.
I had no idea or intention to ask all people for their real names and / or address.
Hosting a "Get together on Veggie" in Nova Scotia for several years I had
to give out my address and never had a problem with that.
If anybody buys something from me his address is absolutely safe and will be used just for the purpose to deliver the parts.
I do not even understand why Jeff mentions that.
I did in no way expect a semi political debate.
So, Sun, or Coach, if you want, delete my post.

Klaus

Relax Klaus.

I only mentioned you to show that some people are trustworthy, while others may need time to reveal themselves.

I TRUST YOU.

I thought I made that clear. Maybe one of you friends or family members could translate my prior post to you, so you understand that I trust you.

All the stuff I said in my prior post was meant to illustrate that the internet is potentially unsafe, it wasn't meat to insult anyone or scare anyone.

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby coachgeo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 am

BMW Fan wrote:...So, Sun, or Coach, if you want, delete my post.Klaus

I assume your talking about the post that leads off this thread. You made your points clear in your follow up post so dont think its neccissary to delete the first one. Besides.... it's the first one in this thread. Nothing will make since without it.

Now that I think about it since it is the first post I think it would actually delete the whole thread by removing it.

It does demonstrate how easy things can get read differently by folk thus sparking responces that are out in left field of the orginators topic.

This thread also serves as a good reminder for folk to put good info in their user profile.

If you do really want it deleted though and Sun is ok with it.... we will do so.

PS- Feel free to go back and edit that first post to try to get your point across better. Or better yet, since that first post has been refered to already, add a PS to it at the bottom of it instead of changing it...

PS could read something to the affect of "it appears some folk miss read my intentions of ..." "and it lead to some responces off the mark of my intended direction". Then add a few more things to clarify better your intentions. This part of your last post "I put up this post just to trigger people to be a little more informative about their aims and personal experiences.
I had no idea or intention to ask all people for their real names and / or address." would be a good bit of info to add in that PS.

Just a thought
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby BMW Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 am

I got good advice and you already summed up my thoughts, Coach

Well, let it continue it may trigger what I intented with your help.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby Welder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I hope you guys can understand that I wasn't attacking anyone, or insinuating anything bad was happening. I was only pointing out the POTENTIAL dangers of giving personal info over the internet.

I don't know how anyone could miss that. I thought I was pretty clear.

"Some folks" may like to misread things on purpose in order to play the role of victim. While doing so may draw comfortable sympathy, it unfairly vilifies the innocent.

Roger Waters
Welder

Return to Off topic banter