Question about Hotfox

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Question about Hotfox

Postby Bear Pen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:41 am

I'm just finishing up the conversion of my '98 Dodge Cummins to a two-tank system. I've got a 24-inch Hotfox in an aluminum tank in the truck bed. The fuel line runs to a Racor 1000 filter bolted to the side of the tank. When I try to suck fuel (in this case, off-road diesel) through the system from up front, I hear a gurgling sound in the tank, and I keep getting air in the suction line up front. (NOTE: There is only five gallons of fuel in the tank) Do I need a check valve at the bottom of the Hotfox? I hope not, 'cause there's not really room for it. I'll have to machine a block to raise the Hotfox. Or can the check valve go between the filter and the Hotfox?
Off-Grid for 40 years
Solar powered home and shop
''85 MB 300D
'98 2WD Dodge Cummins w/ homebuilt 2-tank system
Belarus 240AN tractor--Diesel
Kubota 4400 diesel tractor
'39 Allis Chalmers "B" tractor gasburner
Bear Pen

Re: Question about Hotfox

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:32 am

No you don't need a checkvalve there. Check all your connections for air leaks, its very common. Add more fuel if there is a chance that its not at least a few inches above the suction end of the hotfox.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Question about Hotfox

Postby Bear Pen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am

After quite a bit of injector air-bleeding, yesterday I got the truck started. It ran well on diesel, in fact has more power than ever since I replaced the injector return valve. I filled the veg tank, and when the truck was up to temp I switched to veg. It ran for a couple of minuted then died. I popped the cap on the Racor filter and it had quite a bit of air on top. It's hard to figure where it's coming from--there are only two connections between the filter and the Hotfox. Today I'll check those connections, refill the filter, and try it again............
Off-Grid for 40 years
Solar powered home and shop
''85 MB 300D
'98 2WD Dodge Cummins w/ homebuilt 2-tank system
Belarus 240AN tractor--Diesel
Kubota 4400 diesel tractor
'39 Allis Chalmers "B" tractor gasburner
Bear Pen

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion