proper installation of gauges

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

proper installation of gauges

Postby spacebetty » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

I have a Sunpro water temp gauge I was going to use to measure the temp of the VO coming out of my FPHE. Can I do that, or do I have to buy an oil temp gauge, anyone know?

Also, it's my understanding that in order to work properly any temp gauge sensor has to be completely surrounded by fluid. How does one manage this when installing the sensor on a fuel line?! A t-fitting won't work, according to the instructions, not enough fuel flow. How have you installed your fuel temp gauge?
spacebetty

Re: proper installation of gauges

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:47 pm

spacebetty wrote:I have a Sunpro water temp gauge I was going to use to measure the temp of the VO coming out of my FPHE. Can I do that, or do I have to buy an oil temp gauge, anyone know?

A water temp guage works fine, thats what I have had for >7 years. Mine is the cheapest guage at the auto parts store.
Also, it's my understanding that in order to work properly any temp gauge sensor has to be completely surrounded by fluid. How does one manage this when installing the sensor on a fuel line?! A t-fitting won't work, according to the instructions, not enough fuel flow. How have you installed your fuel temp gauge?

Mine is in a tee fitting, 1/2" pipe thread, and works great. The end 3/4" of the sender is in the flow. You can see pics of it in the converted vehicles section here.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion