Dodge pre-filter/heater bypass

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Dodge pre-filter/heater bypass

Postby virginia greaser » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am

I have a 1995 Dodge 2500 and I am copying Sunwizard's design. I am ready to start working on my fuel lines now:
1. How do I route the veg and diesel lines concerning the fuel pre-filter/heater? The pre-filter/heater is not shown in the schematic but is physically attached to the lift pump. I've read about people deleting the heater, perhaps the pre-filter is also not needed and I may remove and bypass the whole thing? Wouldn't want veg going into that strainer, right?

2. For the small injector drain line modification on top of the fuel filter, I've read elsewhere that some people disconnect the line from the top of the filter and just use the original bolt to cap that connection. Do you know if this works? I am concerned the bolt may be too long or not align properly for the internal passages below.

Thanks much!
Mike
1985 Mercedes 300TD, converted and running veg since 2009
1995 Dodge 2500, conversion started Jan 2013
virginia greaser

Re: Dodge pre-filter/heater bypass

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:35 am

virginia greaser wrote:I have a 1995 Dodge 2500 and I am copying Sunwizard's design. I am ready to start working on my fuel lines now:
1. How do I route the veg and diesel lines concerning the fuel pre-filter/heater? The pre-filter/heater is not shown in the schematic but is physically attached to the lift pump. I've read about people deleting the heater, perhaps the pre-filter is also not needed and I may remove and bypass the whole thing? Wouldn't want veg going into that strainer, right?

I kept both in their stock spot since mine was working, and is still working good after 8 years. Its good to have the strainer to catch chunks and protect the lift pump. Hopefully your WVO is filtered so there won't be many chunks or you will plug your main filter quickly. If you take out the stock strainer you should add an inline strainer before the lift pump.
2. For the small injector drain line modification on top of the fuel filter, I've read elsewhere that some people disconnect the line from the top of the filter and just use the original bolt to cap that connection. Do you know if this works? I am concerned the bolt may be too long or not align properly for the internal passages below.

I didn't use the bolt so I don't know. I cut and capped the line since I still wanted the line and special banjo fitting there incase I ever wanted to switch back. Now that its worked perfectly for 8 years I don't think I will ever switch back, but if I sold it someone might want to.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion