Winter vs summer tune

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Winter vs summer tune

Postby johnvegburner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Has anyone noticed that their diesel engine runs much smoother and quieter during the summer months? I get easier starting, smoother running and less combustion clatter when the ambient temps are above 25*C (77*F). I would like to experiment with intake temps during this coming winter (southern hemisphere here), so am thinking about pipe-ing warm underbonnet air to the aircleaner inlet. I already run a snorkel for cold air induction (this is an s.u.v. or f.w.d. vehicle). My plan is to weld another entry pipe into the aircleaner housing and run a tuned length of pipe to an underhood location which would then give 2 air intake pipes. The combined hot and cold air should result in a reasonably warm intake temp which may not be ideal for ultimate performance, but should promote a more complete combustion event, which is always a concern when running heavy oil fuels.
I should mention that the Helmholtz effect is very strong in a diesel engine as the intake is always at "wide open throttle", and we should be taking advantage of this free energy to help improve volumetric efficiency.
I did an experiment some years ago on an Isuzu c223 Isuzu engine which gave mixed results, I ran the single induction pipe to a location right behind the radiator in order to try the hot air theory, the result was a very quiet smooth engine, however, after 15 minutes of driving (on a cold day (15*C /60F) the heat build-up was too great, and performance dropped considerably and the engine ran too hot for my liking as well. Now that I have an intercooled turbo 4jg2 Isuzu engine that has an E.G.T. gauge fitted I am in a better position to play around with various set-ups. The Helmholtz effect results from any sudden expansion of intake area, so the aircleaner canister promotes a strong pulse which we can tune to operate at a particular engine rev range. Previously I have tuned the pipe length to work at cruise (3000 revs on a previous Toyota engine), the pipe length (from the aircleaner to the opening of the inlet pipe) for these revs was approximately 5 feet, my present engine cruises at 2600 revs so I will experiment with a longer pipe to get the best effect at cruise speeds. Obviously the complication of having 2 intake pipes is going to make tuning interesting, I may be able to have 2 different lengths to get a broader (yet less effective) boosting range, I wont know until I try it out. I would be interested to hear if someone else has tried these mods, and what effect they got!
Single tank used veg oil burner. Isuzu Trooper 4jg2T engine
johnvegburner

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending