Can the filter heater be omitted in a 2 tank conversion?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Can the filter heater be omitted in a 2 tank conversion?

Postby Rkmcdon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:31 am

I am working towards a 2 tank conversion of a Cummins 4bt. I will have a coolant loop going through a FPHE, a hose in hose counter current fuel line heater and surrounding the fuel tank pick up.

My thoughts are that the fuel tank pick up and the hose in hose will heat the veg oil up enough to go through the filter and the FPHE will handle the bulk of the heating. I would like to leave out the heater for the veg oil filter to eliminate one source of problems.

I was hoping to get an opinion from those with experience as to whether or not my thinking is correct and that the filter heater can be omitted without creating any problems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodney
1969 FJ55 Project - Planned: 4bt swap, spring over, locking diffs, 35" BFG MT's and of course...veggie power!
Rkmcdon

Re: Can the filter heater be omitted in a 2 tank conversion?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 am

That depends on your climate and your oil. If the temp is below 20F and the oil is a solid block in the filter, its not going to flow enough to let any hot oil into the filter. Thats why most use heated filters, and every other part of the WVO side.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Can the filter heater be omitted in a 2 tank conversion?

Postby merk » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 am

No. WVO Filters perform much better warm. They don'y need to be 190. In the summer my filter temps max out at 130, in winter maybe 100...max
Merk
03 TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat excahnger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, two 3 port fuel valves
merk

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion