SunWizard's CF Setup/Mobile Operation

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

SunWizard's CF Setup/Mobile Operation

Postby White99z » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 pm

I joined this forum as I was absolutely amazed Sunwizard's write up for the centrifuge system for filtering WVO on the go. I have been researching WVO for some time for our 1992 Bluebird School Bus that runs on WVO (Cummins 5.9). My partner and I live in the bus and travel full time playing music. The veggie oil that has gone into the bus has all come from suppliers and has been either purchased or given away in the past, but we would like to become more self-sufficient and filter on the go... isn't that what we all want to do?!? :lol:

Anyways... I read a lot about SunWizard's set up and others and know he adapted it to a mobile environment. My big question is... what about powering the centrifuge setup while on the road? Is it possible to run something like this off of a 12V DC Motor or through our inverter system? The inverter is pretty beefy, but basic. I don't know the specs off hand (am away from the bus until Sunday). We also have a massive diesel generator that came with the bus. It was an old prison bus and the generator powers the AC system as well as our accessory battery. We could build up a bigger battery bank if needed.

Let me know your thoughts when you get time! Any advice is much appreciated.

Peace!
White99z

Re: SunWizard's CF Setup/Mobile Operation

Postby SunWizard » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

Welcome to the forum. Yes you could run with a DC motor but they cost a lot more than AC. Yes you could run on inverter, but the cheap ones fail often. I ran my whole house for 15 years on a Trace 2400 watt inverter which was very good. The trick to those options is heat, you could use a FPHE off the engine but that might mean long hoses to it.

My preferred option is to run from the grid when available, otherwise a generator, since that runs the heat and pump, and I can check/clean it better while not also driving down the highway.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: SunWizard's CF Setup/Mobile Operation

Postby White99z » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:04 pm

SunWizard wrote:Welcome to the forum. Yes you could run with a DC motor but they cost a lot more than AC. Yes you could run on inverter, but the cheap ones fail often. I ran my whole house for 15 years on a Trace 2400 watt inverter which was very good. The trick to those options is heat, you could use a FPHE off the engine but that might mean long hoses to it.

My preferred option is to run from the grid when available, otherwise a generator, since that runs the heat and pump, and I can check/clean it better while not also driving down the highway.

Thanks for your input SunWizard! I have been thinking a lot about this the last few days. The bus is new to us and I haven't had much time with it... we have been traveling and living on the road in gas vehicles converted to live in for a long time (VW Bus, Toyota Van, Chevy Truck). I am picking it up on Sunday to bring to our place to work on it and get everything ready for traveling in come June. I am sure I will have many, many questions once I start digging in.

I am not opposed to having to plug into grid power. We play music at establishments that would likely let us plug in... we play mostly at yoga studios. Just get a long extension cord and Voila! We also stay with friends around the country. However, I would like to get it all setup so we can be fully mobile if need be. Lot's more research to do!

Once I get to know our generator system a bit better, I will know if we can proceed using that. It's a beast of a generator :shock: ... it could stack up with a lot of smaller diesel truck engines! Right now the generator is set up to power a "house" battery system. I don't think believe it produces AC power directly.
White99z

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion