Power steering pump powered CF or straight gear pump?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Power steering pump powered CF or straight gear pump?

Postby puresoul108 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Please will someone with experience using a power steering pump to power a WVO centrifuge reply!!!

I have used a Oberdorfer N991 gear pump for years and find them to last about 8-10 month or so till the lip-seal goes bad and starts grinding into the drive gear assembly shaft. They are great pumps and are self priming BUT that lip-seal is only available from Oberdorfer and is outrageously over priced.

I have been investigating alternatives like a power steering pump and went to the junk yard and got one off a 1998 Isuzu Trooper and after some time it would not self prime anymore. So thinking that it was just old and already burnt out due to being a junkyard part, I went to Auto Zone and bought a brand-new one. Shortly thereafter that one had the same problem!

So my question is: Is this just the case with power steering pumps? Do they ALL eventually have issues self priming???

Now it's winter time and the oil is thick until it worms up, but even when it is wormed up it still will not self prime.

I have been doing some research on google and found that other guys use:

power steering pump off a 84 Mitsubishi Montero

power steering pump from a '86-'90 Honda Acura Legend

early 90's Honda Civics supposedly used gear pumps for their power steering pumps, but most others are vain pumps.

According to this thread:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=357577
They are saying that the seals are most likely incompatible with the WVO.

Here is an exploded view of a gear driven power steering pump:
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/hpl/imag ... __1900.jpg

I have a onboard CF and filtering system and am tweaking it to get it ready for my yearly cross country summer tour and need to resolve this before the end of May!

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!!!
2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...
puresoul108

Re: Power steering pump powered CF or straight gear pump?

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am

The ones that quit priming are probably vane pumps. Get a gear pump, which the old acura ones are. It looks like you found the old threads where I already mentioned that, and that the 84 montero is a vane pump. I don't know if the seals are any better in the acura pump than in the oberdorfer. You can probably order the oberdorfer with viton seals if you call them.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby puresoul108 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 am

SunWizard wrote:The ones that quit priming are probably vane pumps. Get a gear pump, which the old acura ones are. It looks like you found the old threads where I already mentioned that, and that the 84 montero is a vane pump.

I greatly appreciate your reply Sunwizard!

Can you please tell me how long you or others have had experience with these Honda power steering pumps (gear type) working and self priming on WVO that is around 200 degrees Fahrenheit?
2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...
puresoul108

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 pm

puresoul108 wrote:Can you please tell me how long you or others have had experience with these Honda power steering pumps (gear type) working and self priming on WVO that is around 200 degrees Fahrenheit?

None. I only use oberdorfer and have had no trouble in 8 years. But I am not running WVO that causes buna-N to swell.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby puresoul108 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 pm

SunWizard wrote:
puresoul108 wrote:Can you please tell me how long you or others have had experience with these Honda power steering pumps (gear type) working and self priming on WVO that is around 200 degrees Fahrenheit?

None. I only use oberdorfer and have had no trouble in 8 years. But I am not running WVO that causes buna-N to swell.

Thank you but I was asking about power steering pumps. I am looking for your (or others) experience with power steering pumps.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread there are problems I was having with the Oberdorfer viton lip seals going out on me due to intensive use (intensive use = about 8 hours of continuous running on WVO that is about +180*F every day.

So I am looking for anyones experience with power steering pumps.

I have heard that you (Sunwizard) used to use a power steering pump to run your CF so I was interested in your experience using them and if they continue to be self priming after continuous use or do they have issues. if so what issues do they have. etc etc
puresoul108

Postby David » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 am

I use a modified Small block Chev oil pump for WVO Collection.
Being a gear Pump these things will pretty much pressurise up till the motor stops or a hose blows. They don't have any seals to perish or leak although weep a tiny bit out the shaft. They only do this if you turn them in one direction so if you set it up the other way, it shouldn't leak at all.

I modify mine for volume but you shouldn't have any trouble getting the volume and pressure you need to drive the Fuge. Just pull the back plate off and epoxy up the pressure relief hole then you can control it with a by pass valve as is the normal setup. You can use a 12mm Lovejoy coupling on the pump shaft and whatever size you need on the motor you are going to drive it with. Play with the alignment a little because if you line the shafts up dead straight the pump will whine a bit under load. I forget which way you want to offset it now but just try the thing running with oil in it till you get it quiet.

These pumps are cheap as chips in the states, I think you can get them from most parts shops there for around $30. Just get a standard one, You won't need a High volume.

I welded my motor to a steel frame and then welded the pump as well after I lined it up where I wanted so I don't have to worry about anything coming loose. I have 3 of the things and they all work perfectly and have done for many years pumping oil and the occasional but regular job of pumping out the wife's big fish tank as well. :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion