1992 - Bluebird Bus WVO Conversion (Sunwizard) - Update 8/28

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Re: 1992 - Bluebird Bus WVO Conversion (Sunwizard) - Update

Postby White99z » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:32 pm

SunWizard wrote:
vegnomad wrote:I wanted to ask what safety precautions I can take to make sure I don't ruin my injection pump with a metal shaving...that was a bummer to see.

Don't use a saw to cut any pipes. Also don't let chunks of dirt get into any pipes or hoses. Pressure wash everything in the area where you are working.

Sage advice right here... What I wouldn't give to go back in time and not have to learn that lesson the hard way. A simple accident cost us a lot of money.
White99z

Postby White99z » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi SunWizard! We've been running our bus using your system design all spring/summer now and it's running great. I replaced the valves we had in there with some beefier Apollo ball valves and they're working much better for us too. When I took the old ones out, at least one had failed and one was on the fence.

I'm writing with a question. We took off to go on a music tour a couple weeks ago and have been putting in A LOT of highway miles. Our diesel fuel, when purging, has been disappearing awfully fast. At first I figured that we were just burning a lot because it's a big heavy bus, but the veggie oil "seemed" to be burning much slower. The other day I was talking to a fellow veggie bus friend about it. Today was the last straw though. I put in $30 of diesel and drive a few miles and my gauge practically was dropping as I looked at it. Where was all the fuel going?!? Well... I went back to the back of the bus and the veggie tank seemed awful full, especially considering we just drove 500 since our last fill up.

I "think" our diesel has been backing down the lines and filling the veggie tank.

Then I hopped on the forum tonight to look at the schematic again and read your post about purging. I noticed you said you switch the tank valve, wait 20 seconds, then the filter valve, 20 seconds, then the return valve, drive 2 minutes or so, turn off.

Well... I think after reading this post and another you made at the top of this forum section right now, I am purging improperly and this is why I'm "losing" our diesel to the veggie tank. I was doing the tank valve and then the filter valve, but leaving the looped return valve set for the last 5 miles or so of every drive because I thought I had to purge the looped return lines. Then, I'd switch to the diesel tank return, let run, and turn off.

Is this little mistake in purging causing my diesel to fill up the veggie tank? If so, I am glad to learn that our bus isn't getting 2 mpg on diesel, haha! It's cost us a bit of money the last two weeks, but we still have the fuel at least.

If that can't cause it, is there another error that could? I have checked and double checked our system and am 99% sure it's routed the same.

Thanks!
White99z

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes that would cause it. This setup purges really quick, how long depends on the length and diameter of fuel lines that has to be cleared. The lift pump is pushing back to the WVO tank at .5-1 gpm.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby White99z » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 am

SunWizard wrote:Yes that would cause it. This setup purges really quick, how long depends on the length and diameter of fuel lines that has to be cleared. The lift pump is pushing back to the WVO tank at .5-1 gpm.

Ha! Always something to learn. I have 3/8" lines for it to push back through also. I would guess that my average 5 mile purge takes about 5-10 minutes because of how slow the bus is. No wonder all our fuel keeps "disappearing"! :lol:
White99z

Postby White99z » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Things were much better today! Still have the fuel we bought... In the proper tank! I am so glad we never filled up the diesel tank while the veggie tank was also full!
White99z

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion