Converting tractor to run wvo

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Converting tractor to run wvo

Postby Case1030 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:00 pm

I would like to convert my old case 1030 tractor to run on svo. I would be installing a second tank, i just have a few questions. Image The injection pump is a mechanical bosch crank driven. Image Image Image Image I was wondering if i should tee the wvo fuel line before or after the filter? Is this ip suitable for wvo, do i need a lift pump or will the injector pump have enough suction? Where about should I put a heat exchanger before the coolant enters the rad or after or should I connect to my circulating heater hose? What heat exchanger should I buy for this application? The tractor will burning ruffly 12 liters light load- 20 liters heavy load per/ hour. I have the filtering ready to go with a proper setup to filter to 1-5 microns, I just need a little reassurance on the wvo setup for the tractor.
Case1030

Re: Converting tractor to run wvo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Yes that IP is good for WVO. If it has no lift pump you probably want one for WVO since its harder to pull through filter. Don't share the D2 filter for WVO = tee after. Here is a diagram of my truck, you could do the same plumbing:
FPHE goes on heater hose. 16-20 plates should be good.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Case1030 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 pm

I have a question about the return line, so it seems i have one fuel supply line and two return lines. My question do both lines need to be looped or teed together? I will upload a few pics. The two lines going down are the return lines. Image

Underneath the ip Image

Overview of the lines Image Image

another fuel filter Image Image
Case1030

Postby Case1030 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 pm

SunWizard wrote:Yes that IP is good for WVO. If it has no lift pump you probably want one for WVO since its harder to pull through filter. Don't share the D2 filter for WVO = tee after. Here is a diagram of my truck, you could do the same plumbing:
FPHE goes on heater hose. 16-20 plates should be good.

I also found this diagram in the manual Image
Case1030

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:55 pm

I can't tell where those 2 from the filter go, but If those are both returns, yes they need tee'd together. There is also a return (also called injector drain) off the injectors which needs tee'd and switched together with returns.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Case1030 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I believe the fuel by passes the second filter and then goes into the ip transfer pump then returned to the second filter and then goes onto the 3rd filter. Image
Case1030

Postby Case1030 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

I don'r know how I will be able to bypass the stalk filter unless I add like 3 or 4 valves.
Case1030

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:17 pm

3 valves is fine, see my diagram. You re- hook the 3 stock filters together in series as if they were 1. And now that I studied the diagram, the lines on the 2nd filter are not returns, its the lift pump inbetween filter 2 and 3. And the line that says check valve is your return and already is teed into the injector drains.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Case1030 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:23 pm

So a 40 plate or 30 plate heat exchanger do the trick right before the filters?
Then the heat off the block should be enough to retain/ heat up the lines, the lines are only an inch away and they are steel lines to so the heat will conduct better aswell. The filters are all mounted on the side of the engine block to. If i were going to use the tractor for cold weather operation I would for sure get a heated fuel filter and insulate the lines but I just need a simple system for what im using it for. Even if i need to run the tractor for 15-20 mins to get everything nice and hot then switch over will help to. The Purge time will be much longer with the all the stock filters but since i will be running the tractor for long periods of time im not to concerned.

Case1030

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Case1030 wrote:So a 40 plate or 30 plate heat exchanger do the trick right before the filters?

No its much better to put the FPHE last, just before the IP, otherwise its a long time after switching over before the WVO gets hot at the IP. And 30 is more than big enough.

And don't share the filters on WVO and diesel, a long purge is only 1 of the many problems with sharing.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:46 pm

its much better to put the FPHE last, just before the IP

NO, it's always a bad idea to place anything but a filter just before the IP. OEM fuel systems adopt that principle.

There have been numerous cases of polymerization of VO in FPHEs, valve seals breaking down, etc. The filter is there for a very good reason, to protect the expensive IP. Don't end up spending hundreds of dollars fixing/replacing an IP just to save a few bucks on fuel.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 pm

John Galt wrote:
its much better to put the FPHE last, just before the IP

NO, it's always a bad idea to place anything but a filter just before the IP. OEM fuel systems adopt that principle.

There have been numerous cases of polymerization of VO in FPHEs, valve seals breaking down, etc. The filter is there for a very good reason, to protect the expensive IP. Don't end up spending hundreds of dollars fixing/replacing an IP just to save a few bucks on fuel.

To protect against that remote possibility you can put a tiny clear inline strainer just before the IP, about $5 at any auto parts store. The thing you want to avoid is having a large volume of cold WVO go into the IP from that filter (or 3 filters) each time you switch over.

Note if you have poly in your FPHE, you will have poly inside the IP as well and are in trouble no matter what.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Case1030 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Sunwizard That makes sense but the oil will definitely be hot enough. I just had the tractor running and the fuel lines heat up without a heat exchanger in place or loop, just from the engine block alone and since the filters are bolted to the block it easily transfers heat through conduction. I will have the system looped on veg also so the temp of the oil after the first loop will be kept hot.
Case1030

Postby Case1030 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Also at the start of switching to veg, the diesel and veg will be mixed together until it is burnt so it wont be 100% veg until the rest of the diesel in the line is burnt.
Case1030

Postby John Galt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 pm

you can put a tiny clear inline strainer just before the IP

A tiny inline strainer is not going to protect the IP. That's why the OEM fuel filter, immediately before the IP on probably all diesel fuel systems, is rated at 10µ not the 50µ of an inline strainer.

The thing you want to avoid is having a large volume of cold WVO go into the IP from that filter (or 3 filters) each time you switch over.

No, there would be no volume of cold VO collecting in the filters, VO switching should be done before the filters.

Note if you have poly in your FPHE, you will have poly inside the IP as well

With the design you posted that's probably true.

That won't happen with the filter immediately before the IP. Don't bypass it.
John Galt

Next

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion