looking to travel on WVO/biodiesel, possible issues?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

looking to travel on WVO/biodiesel, possible issues?

Postby Steven » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi all, first I just want to say this is a pretty sweet website, so thanks for that.

I am looking to get a diesel conversion van and travel around the US next summer rock climbing. I was hoping to use wvo, or at least biodiesel. I read a little on here and some people don't suggest doing a trip on wvo without experience, So my questions are thus:

1) If I do a 2 tank system, what could go wrong? I figured the worst that happens is I don't run wvo and just run diesel, I don't know what would cause that, but if its a two tank system, then why would I ever need to worry about being stranded on the side of the road (assuming I used a legit wvo system) as a few people have warned about? Wouldn't I just run diesel then? I got a winter (in OH, cold, I know) to fiddle with a system.

2) If WVO turns out to be a bad idea, what is the average cost of Biodiesel, and how easy is it to buy it from folks like you all who make it?

Basically I am trying to decide between a gas minivan (or some other gas vehicle), and a diesel. I figured I could save money on fuel and burn better fuel using wvo, or baring the saving money at least burn a better fuel, but if neither turn out to be all that great, I might as well buy gas as they are easy to find, cheaper to buy, and cheaper to repair.

Any insight you guys have would be great! (sooner be better then later, found a great deal on a dodge caravan I would want if diesel isn't a good option for me) THANKS!
Steven

Re: looking to travel on WVO/biodiesel, possible issues?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Steven wrote:1) If I do a 2 tank system, what could go wrong? I figured the worst that happens is I don't run wvo and just run diesel, I don't know what would cause that, but if its a two tank system, then why would I ever need to worry about being stranded on the side of the road (assuming I used a legit wvo system) as a few people have warned about? Wouldn't I just run diesel then? I got a winter (in OH, cold, I know) to fiddle with a system.

Even with a good system you can put bad WVO in it that contains too much water and damage the IP or injectors. Or you could operate it wrong and not purge the WVO before shutdown making it not start the next day. The hardest part of doing it on the road is finding and then dewatering WVO supplies. Rendering companies have locked down most of the sources by paying for it or corrupt practices depending on where you are.

If you do it right WVO makes more sense than biodiesel, since its free or cheap, and needs no expensive methanol to make.
2) If WVO turns out to be a bad idea, what is the average cost of Biodiesel, and how easy is it to buy it from folks like you all who make it?
Basically I am trying to decide between a gas minivan (or some other gas vehicle), and a diesel. I f thigured I could save money on fuel and burn better fuel using wvo, or baring the saving money at least burn a better fuel, but if neither turn out to be all that great, I might as well buy gas as they are easy to find, cheaper to buy, and cheaper to repair.

Any insight you guys have would be great! (sooner be better then later, found a great deal on a dodge caravan I would want if diesel isn't a good option for me) THANKS!

Its real hard to find B100 on the road. Most places sell B20 max. but you can always run that if you can't find WVO.
Diesels last much longer and get much better mileage than gas. With my truck doing medium load hauling, I average 18 mpg, The F350 I had before this with a gas 460 averaged 10 mpg doing the same work.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Steven » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the response, I will keep diesel's in mind, even if I don't do a lot of veggie or biodiesel next summer, may be after that when I can work it out.
Steven

Postby White99z » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 pm

My friends traveled the country playing music for years in a WVO powered Ford van. Now they do it in a school bus. They do the vast majority of their mileage on WVO. It's possible, but I think you need to be VERY picky about the WVO you are picking up and have a way to settle it and filter it on board. We will be doing it next year in a school bus, but will be able to run a centrifuge on board to clean/dewater the oil we pick up. Have fun!
White99z

Return to Beginners section and FAQ