Did we pick up some PHO?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Did we pick up some PHO?

Postby White99z » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Hello! I have been collecting some veggie oil for a while now for our Veggie Bus. A couple weeks ago, I got a call from a friend who said the local high school's concession stand was giving away some WVO in a 55 gallon drum, so of course I rushed right over. There was a cubie that was about 3/4 full and the drum. I put them in the truck and drove home... didn't really spend much time looking. When I got it home, I had to settle them both for a while. The cubie settled and about 1/2 of it was nice, clear amber oil so I poured it into our bin that will be centrifuged. The barrel however, is really cloudy and thick and nothing settled out of it whatsoever. I am assuming that it is not full of water because I think I would notice a bit of separation. There is really no noticeable line of separation in the barrel... just about 2/3 of a drum of a tan, creamy, opaque VO. Did I collect some PHO? Is it useable in any way, or should I give it to a restaurant that gets paid for their oil or to someone who can use it for biodiesel? I have been very picky about everything I have collected up to this point and have stored about 100 gallons of nice, amber/clear, water free oil.
White99z

Re: Did we pick up some PHO?

Postby White99z » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:20 pm

PS: The barrel has been sitting in direct sunlight for several weeks (except when it rains or at night)... natural heat :mrgreen: Also, we process our oil with a WVO Designs motor driven centrifuge and bolt-on heater attachment.
White99z

Re: Did we pick up some PHO?

Postby SunWizard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am

Yes that sounds like PHO. Its great to use as long as you filter and dewater same as any other WVO. I use it for about half the year, since in the winter here it won't pour or pump.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering