Cat irrigation engine on WVO

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Cat irrigation engine on WVO

Postby warrior-p » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm

cat1 (640x480).jpg
cat1 (640x480).jpg (236.28 KiB) Viewed 218 times
I have a Cat 3054 diesel engine I use on the farm to flood my rice fields. I am a mechanical engineer specializing in filtration of commercial fryers. I am planning on installing a wvo system this week as my diesel bill is thru the roof. I have access to wvo. The previous farmer ran this powerhead on wvo & his international 1066. However, neither systems were heated and I know I need to be within 160-190F for proper combustion. I plan on a two tank system utilizing manual valves to turn on the wvo and off to purge with diesel. However, the current cat engine has two fuel filters on it: one before the fuel pump and one after both of which are using a Wix 33546 fuel/water stabilizer. I am located in North LA and it is hot as hell here right now (100F). I do not really care about the winter but we may see some cooler nights in october in the 60's. Engine's normal operating temp in the middle of the day is 180-190 but will drop to 150 at night

Here is my plan:
Install 20ft of 1/2" ID (5/8" heater line lits this tubing tightly) coppor coiled line into a 30 gallon drum and having the radiotor fluid pass thru it. This should get it to the "Y" connector and valve so I can turn off the system just before the first fuel filter (see pic cat1). However, this is where it gets grey - should I pass this filtered wvo thru the first wix filter, or install a Y at this section and bypass the first fitler. The fuel will then pass thru the mechanical pump and then to the second fuel filter and into the injection pump (see cat2 pic). I plan on heating the second fuel fitler utilizing aluminum wire or small dia pipe to transfer heat off of the exhaust to the filter and injection line by coiling. So here are a list of questions:
1) If I was to use a fphe (flat plate heat exchanger), would you put it in line before the second fuel filter to insure the fuel is to temp?
2) Could I use two fphe, one at the wvo tank in lieu of the coppor coil tubing and one at the second fitler?
3) What size fphe's would you use?
4) Which radiator line show in cat2 pic would you tie into - left, middle, or right smaller lines?
5) Would you "T" into one of these line or would you cut and tie one line into the inlet of tank coil and the other to the outlet on the tank coil?
6) How hot doe the fuel in the fphe's get?
7) Would it be better to try to heat the whole barrel or to heat the pickup tube by winding a 4" pigstail of copper down to it?
8) Are the current fuel fitlers acceptable or should I swap to a differnet cut?

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated as I am excited to move down this path right, wrong or indifferent.

Preston
318-347-2008
Attachments
cat2 (640x480).jpg
cat2 (640x480).jpg (211.08 KiB) Viewed 218 times
warrior-p

Re: Cat irrigation engine on WVO

Postby SunWizard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi, looks like a good project. I will answer below each:
warrior-p wrote:1) If I was to use a fphe (flat plate heat exchanger), would you put it in line before the second fuel filter to insure the fuel is to temp?

Yes a FPHE is way better than heating the entire 30 gallon tank which takes a long time and can make the WVO poly. I like it right before the IP so the heat is not lost before it gets there. You probably don't need to heat the tank, lines, or filters anyway if its not below 40F at night unless you are running creamy PHO. Then you need to heat until its not creamy ~90F just to make it not clog going through the filter. You could put the FPHE before the filter to solve that.
2) Could I use two fphe, one at the wvo tank in lieu of the coppor coil tubing and one at the second fitler?

No need for 2, since you don't get that cold at night, no copper coil needed.
3) What size fphe's would you use?
20 plate.
4) Which radiator line show in cat2 pic would you tie into - left, middle, or right smaller lines?
You want it hottest right where it comes off the head, this is the smaller lines that usually goes to heater core on a truck.
5) Would you "T" into one of these line or would you cut and tie one line into the inlet of tank coil and the other to the outlet on the tank coil?

No tank coil needed, but its usually where to put the FPHE, in line.
6) How hot doe the fuel in the fphe's get?

Within 10F of the coolant temps.
7) Would it be better to try to heat the whole barrel or to heat the pickup tube by winding a 4" pigstail of copper down to it?

If it doesn't go below 40F no heated pickup needed. Definately don't need or want to heat the entire barrel.
8) Are the current fuel fitlers acceptable or should I swap to a differnet cut?

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated as I am excited to move down this path right, wrong or indifferent.

Exhaust heat is a bad idea since its too variable and hard to regulate to prevent burning the WVO. Coolant is perfectly regulated and the correct temp you want, so use the FPHE.

Best to have a separate filter for WVO and diesel, if you don't do this then purge can take a very long time. If you run for very long times between purges, this may not matter as long as you purge for like 20 minutes to clear all the WVO out of the pleats of the filter.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby warrior-p » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for the quick replies Sunwiz. That is great news that I do not have to heat the whole barrell as I ordered my 20 plate fphe today. The Wix filters currently on the machine screen to a nominal 3 microns but I do not really know how to bypass the second filter (right before pump). The system has the first wix fuel filter, then goes to the fuel pump and then to the second filter. My purge can easily be 5-10 minutes or up to 20 unless an emergency shutdown has occurred (oil, water, temp, belt). So a couple more questions:
1) I will install a wvo filter prior to the mechanical pump - then thru the fphe, thru the second filter and to the IP. I realize that my purge time will be longer and the only risk I have is the emergency shutdown but the purge is minimized to the second filter and IP
2) what fitlers do you receommend? I usually oprefer Wix on my racing motors and airboats but will use others for this application. They just need to be readily available at local auto parts store.
3) On the secondary fuel filter, the main line comes into the fitler and a large line exits to the IP, what are the other two smaller line going to?
4) does anyone understand how this cooling system works (what hoses go where) or the best place to tie in?
warrior-p

Postby SunWizard » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:31 pm

warrior-p wrote:2) what fitlers do you receommend? I usually prefer Wix on my racing motors and airboats but will use others for this application. They just need to be readily available at local auto parts store.

Whatever you can readily get. 3 micron is good but is finer than you need before lift pump so it may clog quick and be hard to pull through when cold. Most have just a 50-100 micron screen there.
3) On the secondary fuel filter, the main line comes into the fitler and a large line exits to the IP, what are the other two smaller line going to?

I can't see where they go to very well in your pic. Sometimes the other lines there are the injector drain return. Follow those lines to see where they go.
4) does anyone understand how this cooling system works (what hoses go where) or the best place to tie in?

Look for a smaller line that comes right off the head, that is the hottest. You could also feel them when running, or use a IR thermometer to find the hottest.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion