Rotary Injection Pumps, comparing Stanadyne & Bosch

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby FlyboyDVIII » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 am

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm Post subject: There are 2 main types of rotary IP, others are licensed copies: Bosch and Lucas/CAV. Bosch style are much better pumps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What ever your opinion and the opinion of those you linked to is fine with me, what ever you want A OK.

But I will still stand with my posted link :http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Communities/History/Landmarks/10001.pdf

It clearly states that Vernon Rossa invented the Rotary!! Roosa Master/ Stanadyne was the first. There for from the point of his invention forward all other rotaries are simply copies of his invention. Not as you listed copies of Lucas/CAV, That's all I was trying to point out.

I don't find that hard to understand, but maybe the ASME.org document linked above is a hoaks or maybe it is simply someones opinion with years of reading forums. I am no engineer of anything, but what I was trying to point out was to were the rotary IP started and why it was developed in the first place. Not what rotary is the best. for any purpose it wasn't designed for. I don't think I made any statement to what I felt was best or strongest, or listed my opinion in any way as to those points.

I stand corrected, I did post some opinions of mine,

1) This subject was OT, to the other thread.

2) that there was some misconceptions as to were the rotary IP originated, ( I also see that how they operate also, It appears that most rotaries use the 2 plungers concept to pressurize fuel at time of delivery to injectors, they just have different names for the 2 plungers. But I see that not all do.

regards,
FlyboyDVIII
93, F250, 7.3, N/A, WVO since 5-06 over 147K so far, 2wd, ext cab, 100 gal. tank, DIY system. 10psi 23A FASS w/ ProComp regulator.

FilterFuge FF60 CF, over 22,300 gal. spun
FlyboyDVIII

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 am

FlyboyDVIII wrote:It clearly states that Vernon Rossa invented the Rotary!! Roosa Master/ Stanadyne was the first. There for from the point of his invention forward all other rotaries are simply copies of his invention.

Not true, Bosch had a rotary pump they were selling before Roosa Master's 1952 first sales. The Bosch is very different and not a copy, it uses a reciprocating rotor instead of Roosa's radial pistons pushed in towards the center of the rotor by an internally lobed cam ring. Roosa's innovation was to make it cheaper and smaller so it would fit into the gasoline engine blocks in the same spot as a distributor. It allowed the US makers to sell cheaper engines by sharing the block production and not designing one entirely for diesel. This also is one reason its weaker because they had to use a smaller shaft and other parts to fit it there.

But the history was not my point. My point was that the Bosch style is good for VO without special care, unlike the Stanadyne style. So BMWfan's experience and others with Bosch style rotaries shouldn't be lumped together with all rotaries which is a common mistake people make (and were starting to make in this thread.) Early VW's starting in the 70's and 89-93 Dodge Cummins used a Bosch rotary, and they don't require the special treatment of Stanadynes.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby BMW Fan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:12 am

One of the first things I was told from the late Mr. Elsbett was to avoid LUCAS pumps.
Even today it is all over Elsbetts webpage....avoid Lucas.
BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion